Spitfires Found! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

+2 on what they would be worth today.

In the Spitfire V disposal documents, Rolls Royce bought back Merlin 45 engines for 10 pounds apiece.
I not sure what the excharge rate was back then, but it makes the $100 (US) surplus Allison engines look over priced.

I sure do hope that one of these is at a minimum 75% intact. Then just a little Bondo, WD-40 and some love....we'll see the Spit's grace the Cliffs of Dover once more.

Oh I almost forgot, some 'Alabama Chrome' may be in order as well. That's Duct tape folks.

Last edited:
...and with your donation you will also receive a deluxe,hand crafted with exquisite detail,limited edition,one of a kind,chrome plated high quality plastic SpitfireVb key chain in 1/400 scale. This is a great conversation piece. This offer is limited to one per household. Not available in Canada,U.S,Britain or Europe.

but wait! if you call right now, you know we cant do this all day, we will throw in a second deluxe,hand crafted with exquisite detail, limited edition, one of a kind,chrome plated high quality plastic SpitfireVb key chain in 1/400 scale...for no additional cost. all you pay is shipping and handling. so dont delay operators are standing by....

I just ordered one to my Mexican address. These are apparently individually hand crafted by aviatik. The detail is like looking at the real thing

The latest on this

Hope Fades in Burma Search for Buried Spitfires

RANGOON — A quest to unearth dozens of British Spitfire aircraft thought to be buried in Burma looks likely to come to an unsuccessful end in October, with monsoon rains hampering excavation efforts as the two-year search contract's expiration nears.

For years, rumors have persisted that many of the unassembled planes had been buried in Burma after World War II in 1945, though hard evidence to support the claims has not surfaced. During the war, the famed Spitfire fighter planes were used by the British in multiple theaters, including over Burma.

David Cundall, a British citizen and aviation enthusiast who has acted as team leader, took the reins of the project in late 2012, telling journalists that searches would being carried out at three locations: in Mingaladon Township near Rangoon International Airport, Myitkyina Township in Kachin State and Meikhtila Township in Mandalay Division.

Cundall said he believed there were at least 60 Spitfires buried after World War II by Britain's Royal Air Force. The majority of the planes were said to be buried within Rangoon's Mingaladon air base compound, today the site of the commercial capital's international airport.

In mobilizing support for the search, Cundall has cited the testimonies of American, English and Burmese eyewitnesses who claimed to have helped bury the planes.

However the excavation team has been prevented from digging around Mingaladon airport since June due to heavy rains. Excavation efforts have been carried out by Cundall's DJC company and local partner firm Shwe Taung Paw, with the permission of Burma's Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).

"We're going to end the project to excavate the Spitfires in October when the contract ends if there are no leads. We still believe that there might be Spitfires in Burma," said Tun Kyaw, a spokesperson for Shwe Taung Paw said.

He said Cundall had returned to his home in Britain in June.

"We've stopped surveying around the airport since June because of heavy rains. Since then, we have been prohibited from surveying in some restricted areas of the airport due to international air rules. We still hope that there might be Spitfires under the ground [in restricted areas], but we can't dig there," Tun Kyaw said.

He added that excavations in Myitkyina and Meikhtila were halted early last year due to security concerns.

"So Mingaladon Airport was our only major excavation site. Now, we are going to stop all surveying," Tun Kyaw said, adding that digs around Mingaladon had produced no trace of the planes.

Win Swe Tun, the DCA's director general, told The Irrawaddy that the contract to search for the Spitfires would not be extended beyond October. The search team would be expected to cover the cost of restoring excavated airport grounds to their pre-hunt condition, he added.

Tun Kyaw declined to reveal how much the team had spent on its Spitfire search. Early reports indicated that Belarus-based Wargaming.net, a video gaming company, had pledged to put up to US$1 million toward the project, before pulling out in February 2013.

The iconic Spitfire is one of Britain's most famous combat aircraft and gained its reputation during the Battle of Britain, when the agile single-seat fighter played a major part in fending off the German aerial assault. While some 21,000 Spitfires were built, only 35 remain in a good enough condition to fly.

Despite the enthusiasm generated among aviation enthusiasts by the prospect of the buried planes, a growing chorus of voices has cast doubt on their existence, with little in the way of official records that might be related to the rumor.

Good news indeed, and lets hope Mr. Cundall's faith in his project is rewarded this time around.
I see we have what appears to be a new Museum in London, according to that newspaper article - I didn't know about the 'International War Museum' ................. cough !

lol Terry!!

Well, I will say that modern satellite technology has actually helped find a great many new and important finds in regards to archaeology, so he may actually be onto something.

One thought that came to mind a while back, was if he did indeed find this cache of Spitfires, it would drop the value of the existing ones...and warbirds are a lucrative market. Not trying to put a conspiracy spin on this, but it's just a thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back