Spitfires Found! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GavC

Recruit
Jun 10, 2008
Lincs
www.rwsband.co.uk
Hi all, new to this forum.
I'm currently working on something that was dealtwith on Warbirds back in 2001 but can't seem to find any closure.
Its reference a rumour that up to 12 Spitfire Mk XIV's were buried in their delivery crates at Mingaladon Airfield in what is now Burma.
Is this still an alive rumour???
Were they Mk XIV or XII Spits??
Any help would be appreciated as the links back in 2001 seem to be broken now
Cheers

I'd say they would have been FR. or LF.XIV's, myself, as to my knowledge the Mk. XII wasn't built in quantity, rather a development aircraft to test the griffon engines.

Welcome along, too!

(May be duplicate message , this system is unfamiliar to my slowing mental capabilities)

Have friend who goes to Myanmar often from Thailand, will ask him to check on the story, but many UK collectors have scoured the world for Spitfires, Mr. Arnold comes to mind, hook up with the Warbird movement in the UK and ask around.

A friend of mine went to Honduras with a $100,000 check to buy 5 F4U Corsairs back in the 70s', Howard Pardue of Texas showed up with cash and got the planes, saw Pardue sleeping in his car just before perfoming at the Brownsville TX airshow last summer!

I'm researching a burried plane story my father told me about NW Puerto Rico, been working on it for 8 years, think we have found the actual site, story confirmed by many down in PR, Dad never lied, I just didnt always believe him!

[email protected]

Hi all, new to this forum.
I'm currently working on something that was dealtwith on Warbirds back in 2001 but can't seem to find any closure.
Its reference a rumour that up to 12 Spitfire Mk XIV's were buried in their delivery crates at Mingaladon Airfield in what is now Burma.
Is this still an alive rumour???
Were they Mk XIV or XII Spits??
Any help would be appreciated as the links back in 2001 seem to be broken now
Cheers

I have a friend who served with 155 dquadron, I'll ask him if he knows anything !!!

I just heard on my local bbc 10 o clock news that david cameron has managed to achieve the release of 20 spitfires which have been hidden underground in burma since the 50's! can't find it on the net yet, but the news reader defo said it!
I watch the south east version.

Welcome to the site GavC. Found this on the BBC website

Capture111.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Those are going to be some expensive kits to recover, restore possibly rebuild - museum pieces except for any 'survived' engines largely going for the spares repair of flightworth Merlins/Griffons...

I think this also sends a good initial message of some increased co-operation with the Myanmar gov' can foster better contacts than just those from the us in UK/West with Castrol, the Gurkas, the long supporting of Yang San Sui Chi's (spelling?).

That is ironic timing as I am reading a book about the Flying Tigers right now and Mingaladon is one of the fields mentioned. It's quite an interesting book and really lays open some myths that have been perpetuated about the AVG.

Good news - if Mr C doesn't **** it up.
Good chance, at that time of the war, they will be either MkVIIIs or MkXIVs, (unless the earlier equipment, MkVc Trop).
If crated, they could be in relatively good condition, possibly restorable to airworthy condition and, the engines, if crated separately, could well have been inhibited, therefore in good condition also.
Looking forward to further developments, meanwhile I have already saved around 25 pence towards the £2.5 million or so needed to buy one .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back