Surprise in a small Texas town

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I remember last year doing a post talking about driving through this little town in Texas called Burnet (pronounced burn-it) and finding this little air museum. Here is the link http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/best-weekend-ever-7325.html

Anyway, I drove through that town again and SURPRISE. Look whats sitting there now.

Attachments

• IMG00086.jpg
    IMG00086.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG00087.jpg
    IMG00087.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG00088.jpg
    IMG00088.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG00089.jpg
    IMG00089.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 212
Wow! That is awesome find. Is that 2 seperate Migs or the same one at different stages of restore?

Scratch that, two different Migs. I see the difference.

What are you doing so far off the beaten track? It's not even on the Interstate. cool pics though.

From Dallas, you can drive down I-35 or 281. I-35 is a wicked pain in the a** to drive because of traffic congestion between Waco and Austin. Or, take 281 which is a beautiful peaceful drive through the edges of the hill country and you get to see all these nice small towns, deer on the side of the road, and stop at Dairy Queen for a Blizzard!!!!!! yummy.

Sweet, nice pics of the migs Thorlifter.

Question, are those Mig-17s?

Yes, MiG-17's.

I think the 2 seater is a MiG-15. There are 3 wing fences on the MiG-17 and 2 on the MiG-15. Plus as the MiG-17s were put into service, some of the original MiG-15s were modified to become trainers. What is odd is that almost every time I have seen a MiG-17 at an airshow, their is always a MiG-15 on static display nearby. Evil twin?

No surprise for me as I lived about 20 miles south of there for 4 years. 281 is on the route of the old El Camino Real. The Spanish used that route in the 17th and 18th century. As has been said, it is a much more relaxed way to drive from Dallas to San Antonio. They have a nice air show at that airport every spring just about now when the bluebonnets are at their peak. There is a muny golf course just south of the airport called Deleware Springs. In expensive and a good course. While playing there I have seen many interesting AC in the pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back