Would a thin/redesigned wing brought the Hurricane up to Spitfire/109 performance? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Meant to get back to you on this one. Great comment, but what resonated was looking at air as particles. For me this came much later. True story, on a flight and got re-directed to another airport because of fog, got chatting to this lassie and she asked me 'how do planes fly', so I (original degree was physics) trotted out the usual stuff, but she thought abut it then asked more questions. She was not convinced.

Whew...I'm glad you didn't tell her the real reason.

Thank you Tomo.

Re:'Hurricane's wing was not some monolithic structure. Outboard of the wing tanks, the wing panels were attached. The wing panels comprised maybe 80% of the wing area, and redesigning those would've made zero impact to the fuselage. Hence Hurricane can remain Hurricane, picking up some performance in process.'

We will have to disagree. Perhaps a virtue could be made of a necessity by using the thick centre section for a pair of leading edge radiators. Certainly the outer wing panels can be altered separately to the centre section.

The tubing method meant that the tubing 'box' is filled with bracing whereas a stressed skin has the centre free. Room for small items but not major ones. To allow for the cockpit opening the structure relied heavily upon the centre section to externally stiffen the cockpit opening and the engine mounting, in common with all such V12s, used the engine block as a stressed part of the structure.

I wonder what Camm's team would have done had the next specification been for a 1,600bhp Merlin design and not one for the 2,000bhp+ Sabre/Vulture/Centaurus? I suspect they would have had to look for refinement instead of brute strength and something like a Tempest wing might have been chosen for such a smaller fighter. However the Air Ministry had stepped up in one go from a Gauntlet/Gladiator model to the Hurricane/Spitfire one so the next step had to be a 4 cannon double power type to make the change short term future proof.

BTW I wonder who would do the design work in 1939/40? Hawkers were flat out on Typhoon/Tornado work and Glosters were devoted to new jet designing.

Sydney Camm said he could have got a bit more speed out of the Hurricane if he had made the wing thinner, but there wasn't time. Historically, Britain and the RAF were better off with the Hurricane the way it was, rather than losing time trying to improve it.

Any aircraft can be reworked to have a different wing, different tail, different wing and tail incidences, etc. The question is whether or not the gains by making such chages would be worth the effort.

It might be different if the Hurricane were, say, a 350 mph aircraft and needed to get to 375 mph.

But production Hurricanes were pushing to get over the 300 mph mark and needed to get to 370 mph, so they needed somethiong like a 21% gain in speed and that seems unlikely by doing a great deal of work to make the wing 3 - 5% thinner without any other changes. What was clearly needed was a new design, and they eventually HAD it, but not exactly quickly.

I would like to point out that there was no welded steel tubing in the Hurricane airframe. All of the tubing, both the ones made of lightweight steel alloys and the ones made of aluminum , were held together by mechanical fasteners. For its size the Hurricane was a fairly light weight. Compare it to the similarly sized P40 for instance. Compared to many of its contemporaries the Hurricanes frontal area and fuselage at least appear to be more aerodynamic. ie P40, Morane Sauliner, F4F ect Camm was willing to do a redesign of the Hurricanes wing but the RAF and the Air ministry would have none of it. Not really a surprise when you consider how ridiculous they made the transition to metal covered outer wings for Hawker and the Hurricane. There would be some room to thin the center section as the undercarriage and the fuel tanks were fitted within the thickness of the main spars.I will have to check but I believe the wings were a maximum of 18 inches thick in the center section and the spars were 12 inches. Obviously the outer wing sections could of quite readily been made thinner. But as I said the Air Ministry would have none of it, development of the Hurricane was frozen at the Mk II level. In light of how long it took to get the bugs out of the sabre engine of the Typhoon this could be judged in error with the benefit of hindsight. Imagine how useful a 375 mph Hurricane might have been in the Pacific.

A series I Hurricane IIa had a maximum speed of 348 mph. An additional 5 % would would get you to 365 mph.

Still the same problem here; how much work was required to gain 5% when the Spitfire was already capable of much higher performance (eg Spitfire III with the same engine as the Hurricane II achieved ? Against Fw 190s a thin wing, 365 mph Hurricane III was still obsolescent, as was the 370+ mph Spitfire V. The reason there weren't Spitfires in the Pacific much earlier was because of Air Ministry and FC priorities not because there weren't enough of them in service.

Sydney Camm said he could have got a bit more speed out of the Hurricane if he had made the wing thinner, but there wasn't time. Historically, Britain and the RAF were better off with the Hurricane the way it was, rather than losing time trying to improve it.

I agree. It could have turned into a Luftwaffe/RLM like never ending development project ending up with no useful aeroplane at all. The Hurricane, as it was, did a job for a couple of years in Europe and much longer elsewhere. What's the problem there, particularly as the Spitfire already existed? Far better to put resources into an already existing and superior aircraft than muck about trying to improve an inferior one.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
I would like to point out that there was no welded steel tubing in the Hurricane airframe. All of the tubing, both the ones made of lightweight steel alloys and the ones made of aluminum , were held together by mechanical fasteners.

+1 on that.

For its size the Hurricane was a fairly light weight. Compare it to the similarly sized P40 for instance. Compared to many of its contemporaries the Hurricanes frontal area and fuselage at least appear to be more aerodynamic. ie P40, Morane Sauliner, F4F ect

The fuselage of the P-40 was certainly a more streamlined affair than the Hurricane. The 1st XP-40 was flown with belly radiator, and it was not been able to match the 350 mph promissed by Curtiss. Relocation of the radiator under the nose was one of the modifications that enabled it to do 350 mph.
Comparing the radial engined fighter with a V-12 engined one does not make a lot of sense IMO.
The radiator sticking out in the slipstream, like it was the case for the Hurricane, XP-40 and Typhoon's prototype, looked like a good idea in mid-30's, not so much when the ww2 started.

Camm was willing to do a redesign of the Hurricanes wing but the RAF and the Air ministry would have none of it. Not really a surprise when you consider how ridiculous they made the transition to metal covered outer wings for Hawker and the Hurricane. There would be some room to thin the center section as the undercarriage and the fuel tanks were fitted within the thickness of the main spars.I will have to check but I believe the wings were a maximum of 18 inches thick in the center section and the spars were 12 inches.

Not sure how much one can thin out the central wing section unless a major modification is pulled off. picture

Obviously the outer wing sections could of quite readily been made thinner. But as I said the Air Ministry would have none of it, development of the Hurricane was frozen at the Mk II level. In light of how long it took to get the bugs out of the sabre engine of the Typhoon this could be judged in error with the benefit of hindsight. Imagine how useful a 375 mph Hurricane might have been in the Pacific.

The Hurricane's wing area was the biggest of all ww2 V-12 powered fighter that meant something. Perhaps also the reduction of wing area, down from 257.5 ft² to, say, 200-210 sq ft should be attempted? The Hurricane was one of the lightest fighters around, as you correctly put it, so the resulting wing loading would still be very much manageable.
I'd also try to relocate the radiators under nose.

A series I Hurricane IIa had a maximum speed of 348 mph. An additional 5 % would would get you to 365 mph.

I'm afraid that 348 mph is a calculated maximum (chart), the 12 MG Hurricane IIs were good for 330 mph (chart)?

The Hurricane did outperform contemporary 1930s Bf109s. And as noted the Hurricane would have been a huge export success had not history intervened.
And the Hurricane was certainly on a par with anything from Italy or USA or Russia or Japan or France in production in the 1930s
The initial design was spot on and easily matched the specifications and wishes of its designers.
I call that a win.

Camm was willing to do a redesign of the Hurricanes wing but the RAF and the Air ministry would have none of it. Not really a surprise when you consider how ridiculous they made the transition to metal covered outer wings for Hawker and the Hurricane. .
The wing was redesigned (the construction of the metal wing differs markedly from that of the fabric-covered with separate wingtips for a start.)
It was Hawker's own problems, not the Air Ministry, that caused a delay on the metal wings (the Air Ministry were asking for them as early as May 1938, since a dive, with fabric wings, had to be 70mph slower.) The initial order, for 300 fabric-winged, had to be increased to 400 in November 1938, with a possibility of going up to 500. The first metal wings were delivered 17-3-39, and the last fabric-winged Hurricane was delivered 19-9-39. Hawker couldn't build the Hurricane fast enough, because Gloster were only building 15 pairs of metal wings per week.
But as I said the Air Ministry would have none of it, development of the Hurricane was frozen at the Mk II level. In light of how long it took to get the bugs out of the sabre engine of the Typhoon this could be judged in error with the benefit of hindsight. Imagine how useful a 375 mph Hurricane might have been in the Pacific
In December 1940, Camm was asked to trial metal-covered ailerons on the Hurricane, but he said that, since the Hurricane was almost at the end of its useful life, he didn't see any point, so it certainly wasn't the Air Ministry who lacked interest; he did, eventually, do as he was told, mid-1941, but they made little difference, so the idea was dropped. As usual, we're looking at the 1941 Pacific with 20/20 hindsight, at a time when the Air Ministry had to consider the possibility of the Battle of Britain resuming, with the threat of invasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back