U.S Ninth Air Force

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Plan wish I could share a honest opinion with you on History in the Sky 354th fg. I hae an orgiinal copy with faded pics and signed within from this top scoring ETO fighter group from my home stae of Oregon. the book sucks, no text.

A new book is coming out last I heard next month from a well known P-38 author on the unit. there are several B-26 units in print but the operations are very breif day by day on average. Schiffer pubs has 1-2 of the 9th AF fighter group histories, the last I beleive is a huge one on the little known 370th fg, with P-38 to transition to P-51.

let me recommend the Thundermonsters over Europe, P-47 405th bg. Not bad for a softbound book on a unit

the 2 P-61 squads have almost a big fat 0 on each of them. I have their micorfische history copie dfor me by 2 425th nfs vets but that is about it. Seems every 9th AF unit has an OLD group history with 3/4rs and more enver re-released in print which I find a crime. There is so much US 8th AF books out there they are running over each other with the same old news.........

E

Well, the 12th Bombardment Group and 79th Fighter Group histories are quite new. But I believe they both departed U.S Ninth Air Force by the time it re-organised in Britain in October, 1943.

Plan :

another future work for this year is on the P-47 unit the 368th fg. Plenty of colour too in the book I heard. Unit shot up over 700 locos with over 200 damaged, 143 air kills and 117 ground. Cannot really be compared with the aerial kill activities of the US 8th fg true, but the 9th AF roles for the P-47 were different in the ETO.........

I have another work on the U.S Ninth - The Ninth Air Force in Colour by Roger A. Freeman. No history, but all the groups that operated out of England in picture. And some interesting captions. It's a good accompanying book. Some decent pictures of the 422nd and 425th Night Fighter Squadron P-61s

scan a few if you would please, maybe able to tell you whom flew what P-61 by the aircraft a/c numbers, though the pilots did a trade off due to too few P-61's in the squads

I will scan some when I head over to my girlfriends house sometime this week, she has a scanner, I don't. But I can tell you I've got pictures of

422nd NFS:

P-61A - 42-5565 - Pilot: 1/Lt. Robert G. Bolinder - Name: "Double Trouble"
P-61A - 42-5558 - Pilot: ? - Name: ?
A-20G - ? - Pilot: ? - Name: ?

425th NFS:

P-61A - 42-5570 - Pilot: ? - Name: ?
P-61B - ? - Pilot: ? - Name: "Hel'N Back"
P-61A - ? - Pilot: ? - Name: "Dangerous Dan"
P-61? - ? - Pilot: ? - Name: "Tabitha"

Talked with Bolinder back in 94, he has since passed on. Interesting guy, he flew several P-61's with the 414th attached to the 422nd nfs.

Dangerous Dan was flown by my friend Bud Anderson who is now the rep or was with the 425th nfs, and Byars also flew the P-61 as well.

Bud flew 24 missions mostly night ground attack broke his leg sadly while slipping on ice which threw him out of the war.

What rank was Bud when flying Dangerous Dan?

This photo comes from an RAF 112 squadron Pilot Bert Horden, it is a picture of "Dogpatch Raider" on her return from the Ploesti mission. Ithad to land at Pachino. Crew members are not known at this time, Wally Rutherford an RAF 112 Squadron pilot grins from the cockpit. It was the RAF 112 Squadron that helped aclimitize the 57th Fihter Group to the MTO.

Attachments

• B24DLiberator9thAirForceDogpatchRaiders.jpg
    B24DLiberator9thAirForceDogpatchRaiders.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 199
From some papers I have on the 9th AF 406 FG

Attachments

• july 22 1944 9th 406fg 2.JPG
    july 22 1944 9th 406fg 2.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 154
Another 9th AF 406FG 513 SQ. I don't know if these interese anyone?

Attachments

• Aug 20 1944 9th AF 406 FG 513 SQ 2.JPG
    Aug 20 1944 9th AF 406 FG 513 SQ 2.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 207
I have more, if anyone would like me to keep posting, let me know.

Attachments

• Jan 3 1945 9th Af 406FG 2.JPG
    Jan 3 1945 9th Af 406FG 2.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 178
I know I wrote this in the Tactical Airstrikes thread, but because it helps me remember and teaches others about the war ... I thought I'd start my own thread on it. Sorry for the duplication. It's also, as always, up for discussion or any questions... since most of the USAAF light shines directly on to the U.S Eighth Air Force.

History of the U.S Ninth Air Force

The story of the U.S Ninth began when twenty-three B-24D Liberators landed in the Middle-East. These planes belonged to Halverson Detachment (CO Col. Harry A. Halverson) which was on it's way to China with the plan to attack Japan from airfields there.
The planes were held-up in the Middle-East by an order to attack the Ploesti oil refineries in Romania, the largest supplier of oil to the Axis war machine. On 11 June thirteen Liberators took off from Fayid, Egypt arriving individually over target at dawn on the 12th. Ten bombers the Astra Romana Refinery at Ploesti, one attacked the port at Constanta and two dropped bombs on other unidentified targets. This was the first mission of planes that would become part of the US Ninth Air Force later in the year.

HALPRO (Codename for Halverson Detachment) was then ordered to stay in the Middle-East as the only force capable of striking the Afrika Korps supply line at it's head. They attacked the supply ships in open sea, and in the ports of Tobruk and Benghazi throughout June.

On 28 June, they attacked motor transport and tanks on the Sollum-Matrah Road. The emergency of the situation was so great, these heavy bombers were at times thrown into the tactical role. On the same day seven B-17E bombers arrived at Fayid, these were from the 9th Bomb Squadron, 7th Bomb Group. The squadron had arrived from the India where it had been fighting the Japanese. The commanding officer, Major-General Lewis H. Brereton, was placed in command of the United States Army Middle-East Air Force (USAMEAF).

Both the B-17s and B-24s joined up starting in July to continue their attacks on the Axis shipping. On the 5th, five more B-17Es arrived from 9th Bomb Squadron and 436th Bomb Squadron. On 20 July, 1942, the heavy bomber forces in the Middle-East were formed into the First Provisional Group based at Lydda, Palestine. This consisted of the Halverson (B-24Ds) and Brereton (B-17Es) squadrons. This group and RAF 160 Squadron (with Liberators) were the only heavy bombers in the theatre.

During July three new groups began moving toward the Middle-East, these were 98th Bomb Group (Heavy), 57th Fighter Group and 12th Bomb Group (Medium) equipped with B-24D, P-40F and B-25C respectively. The first mission by any of these groups was on 1 August, 1942 when seven B-24s from 344th Bomb Squadron (98th BG) attacked Mersa Matruh.

The 98th BG had fully deployed by 20 August, and had brought 34 B-24s to the theatre (35 were sent, but one was lost on route with it's crew).

57th FG arrived in full on 17 August, but had started operations before then. It had brought 72 P-40F Warhawks to the Mid-East, which were mostly brought across aboard USS Ranger.

The 12th BG arrived last, fully forming on 18 August but flew it's first mission on the 16th. This group brought 57 B-25C Mitchells to the Mid-East.

Picture: Malicious. A B-24D originally of "C" Flight, HALPRO. Pilot was Capt. Richard C. Sanders.

It's interesting to speculate on what Tidal Wave might have accomplished if HALPRO had not scared the beejesus out of the Germans with the relative puny attack..

It is probable but not certain that the German defenses would have been far less formidable had they not been so abruptly notified that strikes from the Middle East could seriously threaten Ploesti - and then have the strength to repeatedly attack after the first strike.

Great summary

operations of the JUG 406th fg
Is this the P-47? do you want anything that mentions the P-47?
The 9th Af 406FG I believe it was the 513 SQ that handled the P-47?

These are not in order, I'm just trying to locate some that may interest you. These are from my grandfather's personal Papers.

Attachments

• Jan 5 1945 9th AF 406FG 2.JPG
    Jan 5 1945 9th AF 406FG 2.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 184
sorry these are out of order

Attachments

• Oct 16 9th AF 406 FG 512 513 SQ 3 2.JPG
    Oct 16 9th AF 406 FG 512 513 SQ 3 2.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 171
I,m still looking

Attachments

• Sep 30 1944 9th AF 406FG 2.JPG