USAAF Patch 355 Fg 1SF (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

gijive

Airman 1st Class
HIi

Anyone got a bigger image of this patch, I'm looking to make one in leather for my A2

Thanks

Attachments

• 1sflogo.gif
    1sflogo.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 157
HIi

Anyone got a bigger image of this patch, I'm looking to make one in leather for my A2

Thanks

Send Peter randall and email and ask him for a larger image...

Send me a PM and I will give you his address.

Interesting pick for an A2 - are you connected to Experimental Scout Force when they were formed under the 355th FG or 1st SF after Exp SF broke up into three separate groups and were attached to 1AD, 2AD and 3 AD?

Send Peter randall and email and ask him for a larger image...

Send me a PM and I will give you his address.

Interesting pick for an A2 - are you connected to Experimental Scout Force when they were formed under the 355th FG or 1st SF after Exp SF broke up into three separate groups and were attached to 1AD, 2AD and 3 AD?

He sent me it, it's great, The reason is simple ,one of the aircraft was called GI JIVE which as you may know is my username and my dance website Swingcats, GI Jive living history and swing dance so I hope to paint the plane on the back and have the patch on front of the A2.

I have started the patch and so far so good. hand painting it on leather with enamels for a period look.

Attachments

• 1SF1 large right size.jpg
    1SF1 large right size.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 160
  • gi jive.jpg
    gi jive.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 161
  • os-d2.jpg
    os-d2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 161
He sent me it, it's great, The reason is simple ,one of the aircraft was called GI JIVE which as you may know is my username and my dance website Swingcats, GI Jive living history and swing dance so I hope to paint the plane on the back and have the patch on front of the A2.

I have started the patch and so far so good. hand painting it on leather with enamels for a period look.

That is Bill Cox's bird when he first volunteered with Experimental Scout Force in July, 1944. Hartsough was his crewchief. He followed Peaslee to 1st SF when the 1, 2 and 3SF were formed in September.

Here is a pic of his ship before he went to Exp SF..same serial number but he added the GI Jive and Moved Littel Dee to the cockpit

You know that ship as coded OSD (bar) is a Experimental Scout Force and was in "E" flight of the 357 Fighter Squadron of 355th FG - and your patch is 1st SF, after SF-Exp was disbanded?

Attachments

• 357 OSD_Little Dee 2nd_Cox 413699 [peterson].jpg
    357 OSD_Little Dee 2nd_Cox 413699 [peterson].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I winder why he had a fox on the side?

First - the pic you showed with leading edge red on vertical and horizontal stab was 1st SF attached to 364th FG.

The first pic you showed was Experimental Scout Force at Steeple Morden. Bill Cox took his Mustang and crew chief with him.

IIRC the fox was a popular cartoon character..

First - the pic you showed with leading edge red on vertical and horizontal stab was 1st SF attached to 364th FG.

The first pic you showed was Experimental Scout Force at Steeple Morden. Bill Cox took his Mustang and crew chief with him.

IIRC the fox was a popular cartoon character..

So the patch is right for the later picture of the same GI Jive plane?

So the patch is right for the later picture of the same GI Jive plane?

The patch is right for the 'later' GI Jive with red spinner and LE borders... that would be ~ sept 15 1944 through November when William E Cox finished his 300 hour tour with 357FS/355FG, SF(Experimental) and 1SF (red spinner).

In your first photo the only difference between his markings flying with SF Experimental and 357FS/355FG was the 'bar' under the OS.

Great and thaks fo rthe info, here is the finished leather patch

Now I need a good photo of the fox, in the one I have what ever he is carrying does not show up too well.

Attachments

• jacket patch.jpg
    jacket patch.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Back