Why does the P-47D have two station 101.625's that are 8" apart?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rtwpsom2

Airman
May 21, 2013
I was looking over some drawings for the P-47D and noticed that it has two Sta 101.625's 8 inches apart. Why did they do this? Does this mean the aft one is actually 109.625" from the front and that all the subsequent stations are actually 8 inches behind their station number?

In this case it's not a typo. They are two distinct fuselage stations quite clearly marked FWD and AFT and both have dimensions to them 8 inches apart.

Sj74ydy.jpg

I suspect there was a "plug" or fuselage extenstion added at some point in the design, and they didnt want to revise the whole drawings

I can't answer with any authority on that, but wikipedia says it was 13". I work on Bombardier CRJ900's for a living, and Bombardier added new station number blocks for every subsequent fuselage extension added, from the original 200's, through to the newer 1000's.

..that design wise are more useful during creation building the jigs with their supporting jig structures that the aircraft eventually will be pieced together in/upon, if my hunch is correct, a practice borrowed from ship and train builders.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I think Clayton is right, it was just an effort to not have to replace the station numbers on thousands of drawings.

If "C" references a note in the Effectivity Block, that is one way to address it but seems a little "off' relative to standard drafting practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back