Wreck of Stuka dive bomber found in Adriatic Sea (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Regional newspapers published this news yesterday. The wreck was found accidentally near Žirja island on the Croatian Adriatic coast and is apparently in very good condition. It lacks the engine which probably broke off during the impact and is found on the seabed nearby.

According to available data it is believed that this is a Ju 87R-2 of Italian Regia Aeronautica shot down by Royal Yugoslav Navy during April War in 1941. On 12th of April 1941 Three Italian Stukas from 239. Squadriglia 97. Gruppo attacked Royal Yugoslav Navy ships and seaplanes dislocated in coves around Jadrtovac.

Two Stukas were hit by anti aircraft fire that day. One crashed with crew killed. The other one made forced landing on the sea surface and then sunk, where she remained hidden until now.The wreck is located on the depth reachable by divers which enables a good quality photos to be taken (see the attachment bellow).

More pictures and a short clip on fallowing links:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwedQaJDzMU

Attachments

• 3piwgRu.jpg
    3piwgRu.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 194
  • ghDBV1x.jpg
    ghDBV1x.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 197
  • lgDU7m8.jpg
    lgDU7m8.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 204
  • shr91NT.jpg
    shr91NT.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 200
I said it before, you guys have answered me, but I'll say it again. I just don't see how they can restore a rusted pile of junk...........but I sure hope they do!!!!

Currently I can't think of any institution in Croatia that has both money and dedication to restore the Stuka (or other A/C) currently at the bottom of the sea. Eg. we have a 'decent' wreck of the Liberator near the island of Vis, and it's location is known for several years.
The salt water is far more aggressive than 'sweet' lake water, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back