WWII French fighter pilot uniforms (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wheatPasta

Airman
Feb 10, 2007
Manhattan New York
hi everyone –

I was curious about the French fighter pilot uniforms during WWII. During battle would the pilots just go up in their officer uniforms and caps (see photo area #1) or would they don a flight suit over their uniforms and put on a helmet (see photo area #2) or would they wear leather flight jackets and caps (see photo area #3).
Maybe it was a mixture of all three?

Also does anybody know how the ground crew would be dressed? Berets and maintenance overalls would be my guess.

Thanks in advance.

-wheat

Attachments

• frenchPilots.jpg
    frenchPilots.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,357
A related question.

Where would the white flag be kept? Was it part of the uniform itself or a fashion accessory?

hi everyone –

I was curious about the French fighter pilot uniforms during WWII. During battle would the pilots just go up in their officer uniforms and caps (see photo area #1) or would they don a flight suit over their uniforms and put on a helmet (see photo area #2) or would they wear leather flight jackets and caps (see photo area #3).
Maybe it was a mixture of all three?

Also does anybody know how the ground crew would be dressed? Berets and maintenance overalls would be my guess.

Thanks in advance.

-wheat
If they were anything like most other air forces of the period, the aircrews likely wore a mix of everything you described there. Like you, I've seen photos and clips of French pilots and crews in an assortment of uniforms and suits, just like your pics there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back