WWII photo reconnaissance aircraft...? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just a slight correction VB; the PR Mosquito wasn't modified as such. The Mosquito was built in three basic types specifically for the intended role of those types - Bomber, Fighter (and fighter/bomber) and PR.

What I meant by that was: from what I understand the original purpose of the Mosquito was as a light bomber and not specificaly designed as a PR.

I would argue that in the early PTO the best recon bird was the Ki-46-III Dinah..
I like the Fw-189 for the Eastren ETO

I also think that the F-15 Reporter would have been a great aircraft had it been totally developed

Hello Flyboy2
Ki-46-III Dinah was late war version but I agree that Ki-46-II Dinah was probably the best PR plane in PTO up to say 1943.

Juha

IMO a good recon plane is one that can take good images and is fast enough to survive interception...P38, Spit or Mossie Either that or its notoriously hard to shoot down i.e. the FW-189.

The Spitfire PR 19

Max speed 440 mph, Internal fuel 256 imperial gallons with a Fully pressurised cockpit. Capable of cruising at 370mph at 40,000 feet and in post war excersises climbed to 49,000 feet on approach to target with an unverified claim of 51,000 feet.

I think any aircraft before the late model F86 or Mig 17 would have needed a lot of luck intercepting at those speeds and altitudes.

The Arado is a good choice for the PR mission but I think it lacked range to be the best.

As for the Ju86 it was specially modified for high altitude work but was withdrawn from service in 1943. A number were shot down by Spitfires.
The Ju86R was I believe only limited to prototypes. The Ju388 would also be a good option but again we have very limited numbers and they could be intercepted

Yes, Spitfire PR 19 was very impressive recon a/c.

As longer range PR plane, LW had some Ju 88Ts late in the war, with GM-1 boost on, it was difficult to catch.

Juha

BV 141

I think this could have been a Great Recon Plane [almost made it]

bv1416.jpg

In Britain PRU 1 Used Spitfires and Mosqitos

The first flying petrol bowser ,Spitfire IV with all armaments removed with tank under the seat was used for flying sorties to Germany France etc. The first 2 Mossies delivered to PRU were used mainly for longer range sorties to play cat mouse with the Tirpitz etc hiding in the Norway Fjords. Those who flew them would say they were the best at least ,the later Spits were and were good for 'dicing.Adrian Warburton, the much decorated PR hero of Malta flew Marylands and whatever he could get his hands on. He demonstrated to the US Pilots how aerobatic a P38 could be but lost his life in one in 1944 having crashed at Egling.The Germans forecast that the country with the best PR would win the war. They did but no British Museum has a display to inform the public that they even existed.

Trying to find info (a photo to be specific) of MkIII Mustang FX952 Photo Recon of 241 Sq. RAF
(I'd like to do a paper model version to add to my catalog of Mustang kits)

I'm not interested in plastic modellers stories or Artist Profiles.
I would really like to find a genuine photo of this aircraft.
To verify it was indeed a blue RAF PR aircraft, and possibly with Invasion striping.

According to RAF 241 sq info, they had Spits, PR Spits, and MkIII Mustangs, but no info that they were PR Mustangs.

Like I said, stories are one thing, photo evidence is another.
I'm a stickler for accurate info, if possible.
Hopefully a photo exists if the aircraft was really a blue PR.

Trying to find info (a photo to be specific) of MkIII Mustang FX952 Photo Recon of 241 Sq. RAF
(I'd like to do a paper model version to add to my catalog of Mustang kits)

I'm not interested in plastic modellers stories or Artist Profiles.
I would really like to find a genuine photo of this aircraft.
To verify it was indeed a blue RAF PR aircraft, and possibly with Invasion striping.

According to RAF 241 sq info, they had Spits, PR Spits, and MkIII Mustangs, but no info that they were PR Mustangs.

Like I said, stories are one thing, photo evidence is another.
I'm a stickler for accurate info, if possible.
Hopefully a photo exists if the aircraft was really a blue PR.

Are you sure about the 241 Sqn identification? All my googling suggests it was 541 Sqn that operated PR Spits and Mustangs.

There are a couple of pics in this thread which may help, one showing overall PRU Blue with Type B roundels and D-Day stripes (sadly no serial visible) and another showing standard DFS with code letters. They're the best pics I've seen on this topic:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back