Carrier Service Unit Number One (CASU 1) (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CASU-33 was established in mid-September 1943 at NAS Los Alamitos, California. Tracing through each of the USN weekly location reports for the remainder of the war, it appears that CASU-33 never left Los Alamitos, not even as a detachment. Commanding was Commander Albert E Baker, USNR, a pre-war Chief Boatswain. Perhaps that to which your father referred was a personnel draft out of CASU-33 to establish another CASU somewhere in the Pacific. There were some 70+ CASU units established during the war years, not a few were established at advanced bases and were never stationed stateside. It was just as easy, perhaps easier, to move selected personnel from one existing CASU to form another as it was to move an already established unit. Both methods were used, but it is easy to track the movement of any entire CASU which went from point A to point B in the location reports, for example, see post #46, above.

Regards
My father was with CASU 33 late '44- '45. I show he was possibly on Okinawa probably after the surrender of Japan. He was also with V-11 on Guadalcanal. Are you related to Bill Leonard who was also with VF-11 ?

My father was with CASU 33 late '44- '45. I show he was possibly on Okinawa probably after the surrender of Japan. He was also with V-11 on Guadalcanal. Are you related to Bill Leonard who was also with VF-11 ?

Indeed, Bill Leonard was my father . . . like my avatar? Right off the side panel from his F4F.

I'm looking for more info on CASU 1. Any helpers from this old thread? My interest is AS John Emery Page, Jr. s/n 3815964 who was assigned to CASU 1 in November 1942.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back