Carrier Service Unit Number One (CASU 1) (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They won't give you the Who's, but they will give you the Where's if you look at the USN Aircraft Location Reports. CASU's are listed starting with the 15 October 42 report. Look under Miscellaneous after seaplane tender locations; for example, in the 15 Oct 42 report, that's on page 3. Reports are held at Location of U.S. Naval Aircraft, World War II

I was stationed on CASU 31, Hilo April 1944 to Oct. 1945. My rate was AEM2/C I have pictures of groups, and planes, and some of our mates. To srehling: What was your grandfather's rate or area of work? I just found this site, live north of Houston, Tx. I have an ammo box that I had painted and stenciled by the paint dept. I have one photo that has about 85 people in front of an F6F. I have an complete 9 page roster(copy) of CASU 31 dated 8 August 1945. R. W. Sanders is on this roster, listed in the paint shop. His rate was PtrV2c I have a picture of Commander Greene and Commander Ruch. I'll be glad to hear from you. I'm new to the internet.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Clarence! I'm sure alot of our members would love to see any pics you have. Try starting a thread and posting a few. Welcome aboard!!!

Still on the hunt... Moved and didn't to look for a while. I found a reunion group for CASU 31, but it turned out I was to late. The organizor had passed away. I felt pretty bad about calling the widow. Always on the look out though for new sources of information. I have all of the Aircraft location reports for World War II. Currently looking for a way to identify accident reports for CASU 31. I have found sites that let you search by name and by aircraft, but no one lets you search by unit...

In response to Mr. Allen:

From my grandfather's fitness evals (Walter J. Smith), he was at CASU 31 starting some time before November of 1943 and is there through May of 1944. He was an Ensign {A-V(S)} listed as the Assistant Engineering Officer. There are references to him working in the Metal shop. His fitness report is signed by CDR Greene in one instance, and CDR Murray on the other.

For anyone else tracking this conversation: By June of 1944 he is back at CASU 1. His time at CASU 1 are from July 1942 to November 1943 and again from June 1944 to December 1944… From there he goes to US NAS Banana River Florida until November 1945 with temporary duty at NATechTraCen, Memphis, TN during that period.

Someone from CASU 1 or CASU 31 knew him well enough to contact him for a reunion. From that conversation comes the most we know about the situation. Apparently the people having a reunion years ago tried a number of times to call him. Eventually my grandmother intervened and convinced him to talk to them. It was reported to be a short conversation. The gist of the conversation was that he had nothing to be forgiven for and he didn't want to see or talk to any of them again.

I still have some hope that there is someone alive who understands this story and could shed some light on it. Any information about living members of CASU 1 or CASU 31 are still greatly appreciated.

I am a member of the PACIFIC AVIATION MUSEUM here in Hawaii and work in hanger 79 on Ford Island .The NAS Pearl Harbor hanger is CASU-1 roots and the restoration shop is dedicated to LT.TED SHEALEY. Lots of Pictures and history in the hanger if ever out in Hawaii . ALways looking for more Info About the Hanger and persons stationed here.

Looking for information about C.A.S.U 22 and 33. My dad was in both of these in WWII.
USS THETIS Bay,USS Lexington, Air Group 98, Scout Squadron 42, Bomb Squadron 16.

Thanks

Terry
USN ADR3

CASU 33 is the big hole in time as far as we can tell. We know he was in the South Pacific. I found one person from CASU 1 that says that was out of scope for CASU 1. My guess is that CASU 33 had a section that was in the South Pacific, but I cant really prove it. References to the CASU 33 unit were limited. My grandfather was part of CASU 33 from the start, but did not stay with CASU 33 until the end of the war. I continue to post because if any of them are left a stray message such as this one might find someone some day. I believe that finding a person who knew my grandfather is the best way to get to some real facts about what happened.

My Dad was in casu 33 probably around 1945. He is gone now so no answers.I to am still looking. Also Air Group 98, and casu 22

LOOKING FOR MEMBERS OF CASU 47 THAT WERE ON SAIPAN IN 1945-46. ORDINANCE OR OTHERWISE. WOULD SHARE OLD THOUGHTS AND MEMORIES.

Hello my father was in CASU 40, On Bouganville, Paua New Guinea,Fiji.I was Looking thru his scrapbook today and seen CASU 40 written at the top of one page.I have quite a few pictures.I just need to scan them to my computer,and I'm new to this site.I myself am researching my father's war history.He passed in '91,and I just finally got my first computer to research with. sincerely , - [email protected]

My father was with CASU 34: Kwajalien and Eniwetok/Parry air bases from March of 1944 for the duration. Any info/guidance/pix would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone ever seen a CASU 34 insignia patch???

J. Rehling. I may be able to help you. My father was an aviation machinist assigned to CASU 1 and CASU 2. I have a number of photos and three group photos (2 with aircraft). My father arrived at Ford Island in 1942 with CASU 1 and was reassigned in 1943 to CASU 2 at Barber's Point. He returned to the states in July 1944 and taught at the Naval Air Training Center in Illinois until September 1945. I have his service log and diary as well. I am happy to help you in any way I can.

John R. Hughes
Son of R. Frank Hughes
USNR ACMM

Hello I am looking for the WW2 era emblems in photos for CASU-1,2, etc any that were WW2. If you have any that can be e mailed to me Please contact me, thank you Very Much!!!
[email protected]

Have recently found design for CASU-1 but still need 2,and a good close up of CASU-31 I have a small color example but it is not very good on the details,I have examples of CASU's 1,3,12,16,21,24,31,32,36,55,65,66
any other CASU"s scans of them greatly appreciatted !!!!!

I was in 31 for a year (1945) and casu 2 for a few days and don't remember any emblems for them web brown

I worked in the radar shop in CASU 31 from 12/44 to 1/46 but don't remember many of the guys. Went on to teach radar at NATTC, Corpus Christi until 5/47. Web Brown

I just got on this site tonite. I was in the radar shop at Hilo from 12/44 to 1/46 ART 1/C. I have 2 pictures, 1 of a group in front of an F6 and another in front of a F4U. A few years ago some people from San Diego were having reunions but too many people finally couldn't make them so they stopped having them. I don't have a roster.

I just got on thiss site tonite, 5/10/11. I worked in the radar shop at Hilo from 12/44 to 1/46 (ART1/C). I heard about the reunions several years ago but they finally gave up because too many people couldn't get there. Phyllis Terzich is still alive, I believe. I corresponded with Bobby Deyoung for several years but he also has passed. Web Brown

It has been quite a while since I have visited this site.......there is a lot more information and posts made since my last visit. As I said before, my father, R. W. Sanders served in CASU 31 in Hilo and is still living in Oceanside, Calif. (San Diego area) Web, does Phyllis Terzich live in the San Diego area?? Is she the spouse of one of the men that served in CASU 31?? Do you have contact information for her?? If any one has information or comments about CASU 31 I would like to pass them on to my dad......please e-mail me at [email protected] I may be able to find some of the pictures that he has. I would have to figure out how to scan them and post them. I have shown this site to him and he is interested in any information or comments. I may be able to get him to add some of his own recollections of CASU 31.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back