can anyone identify this round?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff-Ski

Recruit
Aug 24, 2014
I recently uncovered this bullet whilst gardening. It's 11-12 mm calibre
Copper jacketed lead projectile.
Our area was air fields during the war and I was wondering if it came from a Germany aircraft?
Anyone shed light on this at all?

Oh wow... !!! would you be so kind and post although a small image of the trove?

And .. welcome to the site.

As far as I know the Luftwaffe didn't have a calibre between 7.92mm and 13mm

11mm sounds like it might have come from a Vickers aircraft MG

Just a thought - it is a rifle bullet isn't it ? .45 cal pistol bullets are 11.5mm ( give or take )

Would someone clue me into the joke here, or do you always treat new members this way ?

Awww...poor poor Geo, here, have some bacon to cheer ya' up!

As far as 11mm ammunition is concerned, the Germans did use American arms on a limited basis. No aircraft employed those weapons, but .45 caliber sidearms and shoulder weapons were used on a limited basis. As far as .50 caliber goes, the Germans were also known to use captured American weapons like the M2 for their own use but it would have been on vehicles or as static defenses.

There is also the possability that German forces were confronted by U.S. forces in that area, as well.

A photograph would certainly be helpful.

Last edited:
It's when you get a bit of 'stick' among other things Siddley, that you know that you're one 'of the boys'...

:D

As has already been mentioned, a pic would be of tremendous help!

Btw fellas, I think that Geo needs another group hug!

Flying bacon....

11573_latajacy-bekon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back