opting out

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattern14, Don't be so thin-skinned. You need a more relaxed attitude. Take what you want and leave the rest, like the song sez. Sure, there are some immature jerks here, but that's life. Non carborundum illegitimas, baby!

Hello Pattern'14

(hi guys, and - thank you. What more can I say?)

The respect I have for the guys here and their work is high. There's a genuine passion here. I've tried history forums elsewhere it doesn't get any better and it gets a whole lot worse. - Just saying.

Hope you stick around.

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth: after 'enlisting' in this site, reading posts and, sometimes heated debates, getting involved in debates, getting my facts straight by those that know stuff, downloading stuff and really reading it, trying to contribute when and how it was possible: my knowledge about aircraft, operations and things behind scenes increased 10-fold. And more I learn, I reckon ever-increasing gaps in my knowledge.
I'd like to thank to people that contribute, post documents, manuals, tables, in whatever language it is. I'd further thank them to directing me to ever better sources, other knowledgeable people, books. Maybe the greatest 'thank you' should go to the ones that make me dig deeper, to question established 'facts' (especially about the things from the other side of fence in ww2).

We might see that nowadays there is far less bad blood that spoiled many worthwhile threads, and far less name calling than a few years before. I myself don't look much into modeling section (guess I like reading more than that art), gaming section, the sections involving eras other than ww2. I just love to discover things that are new to me (and maybe 3 other people) and then to present it on this forum.
If we would agree on everything, the forum would've been a very dull place.

Just wanted to say one thing, or possibly a couple, if I could get everyone that I interact with the most here, from the newest member to the most experienced mods, inside a proper pub here.....f*ck me what a bender that would be, it'd be like a couple of weeks ago in my local, a wee fight broke out between a couple a guys, soon the whole pub were at it, took three riot vans and 15 officers to calm things down, had to shut the place for three hours to clean it up....
Now, definitely not saying a slight rumble would break out, but.....we'd in the end stand outside looking at the smoking ruins of the pub and someone would say......'so, anyone knows a good pub around here?'
Every forum have their disagreements, manure tossing, every name calling between heaven and earth that you can think of, so have this one...characters comes and goes, some they'll lock away and hid the keys...(me, I think that I fit in the latter)...
Either way, I mostly create chaos in the 'Off Topic' and 'Modelling' sections, on occasion I get lost somewhere around here, but it doesn't take long before those nice people in white coats find me and put me back in my ceeerrmmm....right place!
This place and it's people is very special to me, otherwise I wouldn't have had 30,000 posts, agree.....most probably being gibberish in a drunken....well, you know....
Have also learned a lot about modelling here and aviation, before joining I always went for the big names, the big selling pilots etc, but since my name is Lucky13, I decided to only, or 99% go for something with number 13, thanks to that I've learned tons about the little guys, the almost aces, those KIA and more so, those poor souls that after almost 70 years sometimes less, if Korea or Vietnam, are still reported as MIA and that's got to count for something...

As has already been said, you've probably got to have thick skin to survive here, heck.....after 8 years around here, my skin is inch thick!

Stick around, it'll be calm, it'll be wild, ups will be followed by downs where you go 'oooooh s******t!', in the end......'maaan, what a f*cling ride!'

Last edited:
Just checked in to see if my name had been taken off, but saw all these replies instead. Just to make it perfectly clear, I'm not being thin skinned or over sensitive, I am just no longer interested for the reasons already stated in the original post. Good luck to you all, and no hard feelings.

i know excactly what you mean, i intend to severly limit my time on here for the forseable future, cant put my finger on why but the forum just feels different these days and not in a good way for me at least.

Feeling a bit the same Karl but can't put my finger on it either.

i know excactly what you mean, i intend to severly limit my time on here for the forseable future, cant put my finger on why but the forum just feels different these days and not in a good way for me at least.

Not been on here very much lately, due to personal problems, but reading back, I am not sure what the problem is.
Modeling section is helpful as always, and the "what-if" guys are as weird as ever. I, for one, would be sorry to see you go.

Maybe the biggest atrocity was bombing whiskey distilleries, closely followed by bacon.

...and on a slightly topical historic note, on 2 April 1916 the German airship L 14 bombed Scotland's capital Edinburgh and blew up a whiskey distillery. I remember some old bloke telling me that there was whiskey running out onto the streets from the blown stills and barrels. The damage done that night was the most costliest single air attack on Britain during the Great War - in more ways than one!

Pattern14, I'm kinda inclined to agree with people here; this forum is what we make it and yep, I see where you are coming from, but the key is not to take it too seriously. I really enjoy coming on here and for me it is a break from my life, a bit of 'Me' time where I can indulge as much or as little as I like. We are all different, just like life and you gotta take the good with the bad, but don't take it too seriously.

Be a little bit more objective about why you are here; where does this place fit into the scheme of things? It's an internet forum, but there are real people at the end of each keyboard who feel differently to the rest of us about things for whatever reason. When life or work bums you out, you don't pack up and leave planet Earth, you go on holiday with your family, or go down the pub and get pissed with your mates or whatever you do to chill or get away, but you don't bow out. Take some time and see how you feel after your self imposed break.

Take it easy man. :) This is supposed to be fun.

There's been a shift of the "old guard", in a way.

Many old faces aren't around, some have passed on, some have had situations come up and others have drifted off.

But the camraderie is still here amongst the core and it's always good to see familiar faces (ok, nicks, but you know what I mean)

its not really about new faces, but rather the forum is just not as friendly a place as it used to be.

i exchanged pm's with a couple of members 6 months ago about a very anti british theme running through more than a few threads and i still see it.
yes i could avoid those threads but why should i and yes its a big bad world out there but thats not what i come here for, i want to esape from the big bad world a little when i am siged in !

i think the mods have a hard time with some threads getting out of hand and also probably deal with loads that i dont see but again it just doesnt seem as friendly of late.
yes i know you guys do all this in your own time and i appreciate that a lot so maybe its just me being different as i get older.

shame really

There may be a shift and some "colorful" characters have passed on which can change the tone of the forum but its still what it originally was - a forum about WWII Aircraft with some side adventures into modelling and even further afield. I've seen the climate change but its still good.The core of the site continues. I'm sorry that anyone feels that things have changed so bad that they have to leave. We don't delete accounts unless there has been an outrageous offense. Other than that, you will always be welcome here.

Maybe I should start-up "Get Lucky" again?

Last edited:
its not really about new faces, but rather the forum is just not as friendly a place as it used to be.

i exchanged pm's with a couple of members 6 months ago about a very anti british theme running through more than a few threads

I don't know what went on but for sure posting in a warbird forum in WWII we would have been screwed without each other. As an Englishman thankyou to the USA and all nationalities for the pert you played in that deliverance.

There may be a shift and some "colorful" characters have passed on which can change the tone of the forum but its still what it originally was - a forum about WWII Aircraft with some side adventures into modelling and even further afield. I've seen the climate change but its still good.The core of the site continues. I'm sorry that anyone feels that things have changed so bad that they have to leave. We don't delete accounts unless there has been an outrageous offense. ther than that, you will always be welcome here.

Maybe I should start-up "Get Lucky" again?

Well said my friend.

i exchanged pm's with a couple of members 6 months ago about a very anti british theme running through more than a few threads and i still see it.
yes i could avoid those threads but why should i and yes its a big bad world out there but thats not what i come here for, i want to esape from the big bad world a little when i am siged in !

i think the mods have a hard time with some threads getting out of hand and also probably deal with loads that i dont see but again it just doesnt seem as friendly of late.
yes i know you guys do all this in your own time and i appreciate that a lot so maybe its just me being different as i get older.

shame really

I am sorry to hear that. I wish you would have contacted us as well 6 months ago.

2 things have changed here as far as I see it.

1. Some of our long time buddies have vanished (Lanc, Cheddar, Les, Nonskimmer, Trackend, and others). Heck, even Matt has been AWOL for a couple months. We lose these guys and Lucky is still here. Go figure (yes, that's a joke)
2. It seems more of a modeling site now, which is NOT a bad thing. It's activity on the site and it's up to us plane fiends (yes fiends, not friends) to keep the aircraft conversation active.

Let's keep it together guys. Rochie, hope you stay around for a long, long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back