Did you ever bought replacement parts for your model kits ? (1 Viewer)

Did you ever bought replacement parts for your model kits ?

• Yes, often.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, only for missing/broken parts.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
After reading a model kit review, I wondered if any of you bought replacement parts. By saying "replacement parts", I'm being general. It can be only because there is a slight mistake in the size of a part and you wanted to correct it, because you had missing/broken parts, you wanted to add weight in the nose of a plane to prevent it from becoming a tail-sitter, or simply because you wanted to use different decals. (Yes, I also include decals ! :D )

Here is the review I read. I think it's worth a look.
:arrow: http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/allies/gb/spit9.htm

Personnally, I bought a special pack of three model kits from ICM called "Operation Husky". It included one American P-51B, one American Spitfire Mk. IX and one RAF Spitfire Mk. VIII. I converted the Mk. VIII to a Mk. IX flown by Clostermann in the 341 Squadron and I also converted the American Spitfire to a RAF one of the 602 Squadron. (Yep, so far I got two 602 Squadron Mk. IXs. One designated LO*B and the other LO*A (okay, at the beginning it was LO*D (Clostermann again) but recently the "D" fells off and I had to replace it.)) All that cost me around $60.00 ($45.00 for the three planes pack plus $15.00 for the decal sheet).

Well, all that long speech to say that I never got something as bad as the guy who made the review (not with the Spitfires, at least) but I must admit that the P-51 was so-so. I don't know what the guy who molded its parts was doing, but he was not concentrated on the job. When I finished it, its wings ended up flat... and I mean really flat (180° approximately). And the right tail wing had a slight angle up.

Oh... ICM decals are also very cheap. 7 times out of 10, the decals will desintegrate when you'll try to put them on your model.

I haven't before, mainly because there's normally a free part replacement service (at least, there is for Airfix). If I want to modify a model I'll use spares, bits of runner left lying about. If I want different markings, I'll make them on Microsoft Paint and print them out

So you must be very skillful... I buy extra decals and accessories, like engines, photo etched parts, etc.... I've never written a request for a replacement part to the original developer firm, simply because I had allways them in a good condition.

i like to scratchbulid parts , ( i build a coelian turret and use a regular panther chassis) ( i made a skdfz 263 from a 231 )
also have sereral sets of p.e. for planes, tanks and ships.
on decals after 2001 i send an email to revell of germany requesting replacemnts decals for the several planes, and got them free!!!!!

You were very lucky, 262. Generally, they make you pay shipping. That's the case for Revell/Monogram in US. $3.00 inside the US and $5.00 for shipping to Canada. Taken from the Revell/Monogram (US) web site :

In order to continue the high level of consumer service you have become accustomed to, Revell Monogram is now charging a shipping and handling fee for all parts orders as follows: $3 to the 48 contiguous United States, $5 to Alaska and Hawaii, and $5 to Canada. All payments must be made in U.S. dollars.

But may be their German sister company doesn't really bother with that...

me262 said:
i like to scratchbulid parts

I was allways curious. How can you do from nothing a parts that fits into the model? :shock:

What material do you use, what tules, etc...
:?: :?: :?:

Maestro said:
You were very lucky, 262. Generally, they make you pay shipping. That's the case for Revell/Monogram in US. $3.00 inside the US and $5.00 for shipping to Canada. Taken from the Revell/Monogram (US) web site :

In order to continue the high level of consumer service you have become accustomed to, Revell Monogram is now charging a shipping and handling fee for all parts orders as follows: $3 to the 48 contiguous United States, $5 to Alaska and Hawaii, and $5 to Canada. All payments must be made in U.S. dollars.

But may be their German sister company doesn't really bother with that...
indeed i was, since revell germany wanted a payment of 40 dlls in bank transfer, this cost 45 dlls, so i said no, some weeks later i got an envelope from revell monogram and in it the replacements decals i lost, and did not pay a dime!!!!

Pisis said:
me262 said:

I was allways curious. How can you do from nothing a parts that fits into the model? :shock:

plastic sheets, rods ,tubing, metal tubing,cooper wire, piano wire,thin solder, and odd parts and pieces i have in my desk :oops:
another is to search in your spare parts/broken parts.

you need to practice( trial and error)
also some tools like all kind of knifes, files, needle files, pliers clamps,jewler saw,sanding sticks, drill bits( from the regulars ones to the very fine 61-80 index) and most important :
imagination and the need to do it!!!!!!

Very impressive, 262.

Does any of you ever made a Revell-Monogram 1/48 B-25 Mitchell ? Did you had to add weight to the nose to prevent it from becoming a "tail-sitter" ? Did they supplied a weighted part or did you have to "scratchbuild" one ?

I ask that because I'm planning to buy one. (Yeah, I'm still esitating on wich bomber I should buy... For now, I don't have room for more than one.) I already bought a small scaled (don't remember the scale exactly) B-25 and a 1:72 A-10 (both from Revell) a while ago and they ended up as "tail-sitters"... Very frustrating.

So, unless they corrected that lack (or unless you can give me a tip ;) ), I think I'll buy an other type of 1/48 bomber... May be a Mosquito or a B-17.

me262 said:
Pisis said:
me262 said:

plastic sheets, rods ,tubing, metal tubing,cooper wire, piano wire,thin solder, and odd parts and pieces i have in my desk :oops:
another is to search in your spare parts/broken parts.

you need to practice( trial and error)
also some tools like all kind of knifes, files, needle files, pliers clamps,jewler saw,sanding sticks, drill bits( from the regulars ones to the very fine 61-80 index) and most important :
imagination and the need to do it!!!!!!

I understand small parts, like cannons or gun pods but how do you scratchbuild eg. a new fuselage orsometzing.

As to the broken/spare parts - do you mean you put all the plastic into a boiling wtare and than you mold a new part of it? :lol: I simply cannot imagine... Or scratchbuild like changes one whell for another, for example??? :?:

well, is up to you to take a challange, mostly what i do is to reuse or modify existing parts, as you can see in the next pics, to make some changes to a B&V P-215
var0881st.jpg

var0878ye.jpg

var0842iu.jpg

var0830if.jpg

var0815fb.jpg

var0800lb.jpg

var0770wc.jpg

enjoy!!!!!

I understood it when I was forced to scratchbuild the rearwhell bay door on my P-51 cuz I lost it... Nothing fancy but better than a hole......

Attachments

• myveryfirstscratchbuild_136.jpg
    myveryfirstscratchbuild_136.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 273

Users who are viewing this thread

Back