Building a Spitfire Mk.IIb ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello,

Need advice to build a Spitfire Mk.IIb in 1/48 (tamiya prefered)... The project is Spitfire Mk.IIb P8330 RF-D flown by M. Gladych 23 June 1941.
If I'm not mistaken, the best way is to start with Spitfire Vb, replace the oil cooler (Mk.I/II), add the small tear-shaped fairing to the starboard side just behind the propeller (Coffman starter) and replace exhausts (MkI/II).
Most probably Rotol spinner and propeller...
Am I right or I forgot something ?
TIA :)

Last edited:
Almost correct methinks...

1. The thear-shaped fairing for the Coffman starter ... yes.
2. Serial started with P .... yes.
3. The cockpit windshield with the external armour glass .. yes.
4. The Rotol propeller ... yes.
5. The blunt (more bulged) spinner ... yes.
6. The exhaust pipes of no tail-fish type... yes.
7. The early type of the oil cooler ... there is no proof it was of the type. For instance the P8329 RF-P and probably the P8385 had the new, "round" one while the RF-A P7962, RF-E P8334 and RF-V P8507 had the radiator of the early type.
8. The ailerons ... It is very likely these were of fabric covering. But there is no evidence. The metal skin is possible as well. However I would follow the canvas-skinned ones.

Last edited:
I agree with Wojtek. Although not certain, it's probable that the oil cooler was the 'new', round type, as later fitted to the MkV, to improve air flow into the cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back