Spitfire Mk.1 painting.. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm awfully slow when it comes to finishing my projects, waiting for paint to dry won't be a problem :)
As always, thanks for the words of wisdom, especially as I consider myself a novice at this.
These were my first and second Spitfires completed in 2000 and 2010, they were the Revell Mk II kit:
Up1.jpg

Up5.jpg

Up3.jpg

Up2.jpg

I'm hoping that my next Spitfire shows improvement in my skills since then...:lol:

A nice collection. Congrats. :D

There is a difference between both Spitfires. So I can see the improvement and growing of your skills . Keep that up. :thumbright:

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement..I have the underside color sprayed, missed a few spots and will need to re-coat, but over all I don't think it looks too far off from a Battle of Britain Spitfire's underside?
photo.JPG

Looking very good. But the undeside colour wasn't the grey one you used . The colour was called Sky S-type and was of a greenish tinge actually. But the tone of your paint could have been because of the light conditions when taking the picture though.

Last edited:
Yep, it was a weird color, kind of a bluish-green light grey. (Dare I say "Duck-egg"?)
I mix my own colors for the airbrush. I recommend that you get one. You will love it! It will change how you view painting forever.
Use the forum here, there are many pictures of completed builds to get an idea of colors and tone.
Never be afraid to ask for help, the guys are more than willing to share their knowledge.

Yep, it was a weird color, kind of a bluish-green light grey. (Dare I say "Duck-egg"?)
I mix my own colors for the airbrush. I recommend that you get one. You will love it! It will change how you view painting forever.
Use the forum here, there are many pictures of completed builds to get an idea of colors and tone.
Never be afraid to ask for help, the guys are more than willing to share their knowledge.

I think I've found the exact colors that I have see used for the aircraft (Model Master colors) but I'm going to need to buy an airbrush. I have attempted using the spray propellant but I think its time to take your advice and purchase an airbrush of my own..which one do you recommend Meatloaf?
As to the guys on this form, they are helpful beyond words! I've enjoyed browsing and posting some of my started projects (although they were posted a while ago).
:)

Oh sorry.. it could be omitted somehow but it's not an offence in any way. People might have been a little bit tired with answering a such question. Just there is plenty of these posted in the forum. Usually it's enough to have a loook around the section and you can find the proper reply with pictures, etc...
I've been sick for more than week and can't stay on line longer but personally I can tell you I have a similar set. I have been using that for quite long time and can't complain about. The only thing you should pay attention to is the diamater of the airbush nozzle. These may be offered of 0.3mm, 0.2mm. Usually it's enough but a nozzle of 0.5mm makes painting of larger areas easier. So it's worth to buy a couple more and have a spare one of each diameter. Additionally I would suggest purchasing a spare needle because these have a bad "habit" of bending or breaking of its sharp ending while cleaning the airbrush. However if you care about the tool properly it will be working long time.

Last edited:
Oh sorry.. it could be omitted somehow but it's not an offence in any way. People might have been a little bit tired with answering a such question. Just there is plenty of these posted in the forum. Usually it's enough to have a loook around the section and you can find the proper reply with pictures, etc...
I've been sick for more than week and can't stay on line longer but personally I can tell you I have a similar set. I have been using that for quite long time and can't complain about. The only thing you should pay attention to is the diamater of the airbush nozzle. These may be offered of 0.3mm, 0.2mm. Usually it's enough but a nozzle of 0.5mm makes painting of larger areas easier. So it's worth to buy a couple more and have a spare one of each diameter. Additionally I would suggest purchasing a spare needle because these have a bad "habit" of bending or breaking of its sharp ending while cleaning the airbrush. However if you care about the tool properly it will be working long time.

Sorry to hear that you are sick Wurger...I didn't take it as an offense, just a curiosity. I do apologize for asking redundant questions, and will search more carefully in the future.
As such, thank you for the reply, as I have stated I am relatively new to airbrushing and didn't know a "cheap" airbrush set verses a "quality one" at an affordable price.
Get well soon!
Always appreciative,
Pete

Hi Pete,

All is OK then. The difference between these branded products and those cheap ones ( leaving the price ) is the material they are made of. Most of these cheaper airbrushes are copies of the well-known Iwata tools. For instance a nozzle of brand-name airbrushes can be made of brass , steel and nickelize while the cheap one is made of aluminium. A such nozzle isn't as durable as a steel one and can be damaged much easier by either air pressure or squeezing when unscrewing for cleaning etc...
But as I said keeping the proper maintenece let it work long time.

Thanks Wurger!
I think my mind is made up, I'll purchase that Airbrush set (79.99 on eBay) next pay day and try it out. I'm both anxious and nervous about the experience.
How long have you had yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back