Spitfire Mk.1 painting.. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blue Yonder

Airman 1st Class
Jun 8, 2008
Upstate New York
Hello all,
I've been working on an RAF general service shed (hangar) and until I can make it to the hobby shop for more building materials I've switched tasks to work on the aircraft that will be going in the hangar. I pulled a 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk.1 off the model pile and made it through the sub assemblies with ease (something I am unaccustomed to with my being a strictly Revell kind of guy).
Now, rather then mess up I have used some 1/72 aircraft for paint testbeds (keep in mind I have been looking for the "right colors" for some time.
I have mixed the colors per the Tamiya instruction sheet for Dark Earth and the Green (which looked strange)
I have purchased the humbrol colors (which look nice)
I have purchased the life color pack (with the dark earth and dark green looking much as the same colors despite mixing very well)
Does anyone have any idea on the right colors?
I like this for a scheme:
http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/148...-19-squadron.html/comment-page-1#comment-9867

Or this:
Plastic Pics - HyperScale's Picture Posting Forum: 1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Crash Scene: "A Close Shave"

Both of the Spitfires built by these two individuals look very good.
Any help is appreciated, as always.
Happy modeling!
Pete

Don't quite understand your question. The colours of the Spitfire Mk1 at that period were Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky, which you appear to have, ready to use, in Humbrol and Lifecolor paints.
There might be slight variations in tone between the two manufacturers, but there was in real life also, so not a major problem in this scale. Either of these would be more suitable than a compromised 'mix' of the Tamiya paints, and bear in mind that the photos of the models posted are being affected by colour temperature variations from the lighting used. Have a look at photos of the real thing, such as this MkV in a similar, although slightly later, colour scheme.

Attachments

• Duxford show Sept 13 1084.jpg
    Duxford show Sept 13 1084.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 959
I agree with the post above. Also I would suggest reading a couple of threads here and checking on the Aircraft Markings and Camouflage sub-section of the Techincal section of the forum. Especially the RAF Markings and Camouflage folder.

Yep, Airframes is spot on.
Go for reputable model paints in the relevant colours and tweak them until they look right to you.
Attempting to exactly match a colour applied to a full size aeroplane in 1940 and then apply it to a small model is pointless.
Cheers
Steve

I love the Tamiya paints and mix as required when necessary, some of their mixes are not quite right so sometimes a test mix to see just what you get then I go from there for a more suitable match to the subject, Whether it be my mix or someone elses mix

As always, Airframes, you are quick to help! :)
I appreciate it very much. To clarify my question, I'm looking for the most accurate paints that other model builders have used for the Mk.1 Spitfire with or without mixing.
In regard to Tamiya and mixing, what are the best methods for mixing?

The Hurricane (Pegasus kit) was done in Humbrol colors, brush painted and the Spitfire (Tamiya) was Mr. Hobby colors.
I used Duck Egg Blue (Model Master) for the underside an it looked too light. I've purchased Tamiya's XF-14 for the underside and it looks about right, I'll upload a picture after I figure out why the paint doesn't go on smooth (could be the brush is too dry or I'm just too novice with the application of paint with a brush...?)

Yep.. a brush always leaves a patchy surface. Therefore a paint should be applied with a thin layer twice. The another coat has to be applied after the first layer of a paint is hardened fully.

Thanks Wurger :)
Do you think the plane Spitfire in the third picture needs another coat of the Dark Green? And how long do you typically wait before painting an additional layer?

It is quite difficult to say judging by the picture. If the Dark Green overlaid the Brown-Earth (Dark Earth) colour fully you can leave it as it is. But if it didn't you might try to apply another coat. However I wouldn't do that because if the DG colour would be applied again , the Brown one had to be put on too. Therefore if you use a brush for painting, the camo spots should be applied as separate patches. I mean no overall coating like you did with the Brown. In the way you may control the cladding of each colour having the same tone of the background.

And how long... for all kind of colours ( enamel, acrylic etc.. ) - minimum 24 hours. But these acrylic paints can be applied with 4-5 hours break because these get fully hardening quite quickly. But modelling is not a race and it is worth to wait longer and avoid problems.

I found that out when I attempted using the Tamiya XF-21 for the underside...it was frustrating which is why I've considered purchasing an airbrush for the last several months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back