1919-39.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Just being curious as to why there isn't a sub-forum for the period between WWI and WWII. There must have been something interesting going on then, right? ;) :lol:

Seriously though, why isn't there one?

Huge amount of stuff went on. Most of it in design and engine development. Matter of fact, it's a toss up which was more important. But calling development occuring by leaps and bounds would be an understatement.

And there were tactical inovations galore. From Condor Legion to Bombing to Parachute Troops. Huge changes.

But, I guess the problem with a thread or section about that period is:

1. There generally weren't a lot of copies of any aircraft made. At least not to the level of WW2 with 18K B24s and 40K Me109s, ect. Subvariants of any given aircraft would total 5K in WW2 while they may total 29 or 30 in the interwar years.

2. It really is an engineer's game. Most of the changes came from going faster and lifting more. That comes down to streamlining and more raw power. Nothing, I mean nothing, will kill a thread like two guys going over the drag coeficeient of a wing with an negitive camber. Better than dramamine.

But it is a very impressive period in development. One that set the focus for the following 20-40 years. Only in the last 30 years have designers gone away from faster/higher and actually started looking at aircraft tailored around a given focus (not talking Military here, Civilian. In Military, it has gone the other way to multipurpose). Design is actually getting pretty cool out there.

I believe the 20's and 30's particularly in aviation was period in which aviation did most of its growing. You name the topic .

That's why it made me wonder why there isn't a sub-forum for this period....development of the carrier aviation, dive bombing, tanks.....etc., etc.

I think there were not a few challenges for the inter-continental flight record during that peaceful period.

However, the first long range flight by a Polish pilot, Boleslaw Orlinski, from Warsaw to Tokyo in 1926 is little known. Aircraft was Brequet BR.19.

Attached image is a page of Japanese official report about his(and his navigator) arrival.
I remade the insignia in color to attach for a Polish TV program in 2006 - 80th Anniversay:)

Attachments

• polandlogoimage_.JPG
    polandlogoimage_.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back