WW2- B17 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is in reply to an old post, but hey, what the heck!:D

teammaico, the throttles are number 1 through 4, port (left) to starboard (right.)

From the B17 pilot's manual:
(a)Each propeller is feathered individually by one of the four red push button switches above the central control panel on the instrument panel. Pushing the switch in starts an electric pump in the nacelle which supplies hydraulic power for the feathering operation. When the propeller is fully feathered the push button automatically releases, stopping the pump."

The red buttons mentioned are on the main panel, just above the pedestal toward the left middle section. You can see them here.

The diagram is located on a website where someone scanned pages from a B17 Pilot's manual. You'll find that here.

Sorry, I made an error above when I said feather an engine, not the props .
65 years is a long time to remember,so I'm entitled to an error or two.. Overall I think that I'm doing pretty good.
What I distinctly remember is the extreme cold, -50-60 F.Thinking about it today I can't imagine how we survived

Hi Jhor .....

The first time your instructor pilot for the B17 told you it was time to solo in the bomber .... how did you feel?

hello Jules,

I know you from the armyairforces.com so I know you flew with 99thBG and made 50 missions. So first I have to say you have my full respect!
So I have few questions:

1) I believe you have a lot of pictures taken during WW2, could you share some of them with us?
2) Where was your BG stationed in Italy near Foggia? Perhabs Amendola?
3) Technical question- in the 2ndBG history book ''Defenders of Liberty'', on page # 263 there´s written:''when we took off from the field, we were so heavilly loaded and the field was so short that we had to use flaps''.
Also does it mean, that under normal conditions you never used them? And could you explain to me the difference between landing an take off flaps? Only the angle of their inclination?

Have a nice Holiday Jules!

I just noticed that I never answered your questions, sorry

1. I'm sory that I don't have pictures to post
2 After we moved from Tunis N. Africa, we were stationed at Tortarella, 6 miles from Foggia.
3 Usually with a bomb load we would use about 25% or 1/3 flaps for takeoff, also we always used flaps for landing. The use of flaps changed the configuration of the airfoil, giving the plane more lift . On takeoff the plane becomes airbourne sooner . When landing flaps slows down the aircraft thereby allowing the plane to land at a lower airspeed.

Thanks, Jules. I hope you can participate in the forum more often. We miss your insight.

On the B-17G, did the nose bombadier/gunner feel vulnerable sitting in front of the perspex nose knowing that many attacks were head on? Or was flak more feared than fighters?

Thanks, Jules. I hope you can participate in the forum more often. We miss your insight.

On the B-17G, did the nose bombadier/gunner feel vulnerable sitting in front of the perspex nose knowing that many attacks were head on? Or was flak more feared than fighters?

Matt,
When attacked by fighters, evryone felt vulnerable. The crew other then the pilots all had 50 cal machine guns (13) and they used them.My crew got credit for 6 enemy fighters downed.

Since I kept the plane in tight formation , I didn't see fighters. For me flak was much worse then fighters, since I could see the flak as we got into the target area.

Engineer'
When the bailout signal was given everyone headed for the exits, most likely the pilot was one of the last to go.
I truly don't know since I never had to evacuate the plane.

Welcome back Jules!
Btw, that guy in my siggy, Joe Owsianik, as a waist gunner and cameraman, was supposed to bail out tru bomb bay, because since IP he went into the radio room to get ready for taking the pics and radiooperator changed his postion with him so he went to the waist gun.
Before he bailed out, he tried to turn the ball turret manualy into the correct position to get the ball turret gunner out (he was already probably dead) but the turret was jammed. So then he decided to bail out but the bombs were still in their racks so he ran back, kicked out the emergency door (hatch) and bailed out...

Attachments

• b17_bailoutdiagram.gif
    b17_bailoutdiagram.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 361
Hi jhor9,

Are you still answering questions for people? I had an uncle who was a copilot and was KIA. Just wanted to ask some questions and get information about the B-17 and get your opinion on some information I was given. Thanks ,Tom Kay

The 405th Bomb Group suffered heavy casualties on the 2nd Schweinfurt raid, and some sources say that their 422 squadron suffered most. Do you know what the casualty count was for this unit (killed, wounded, captured, # of planes lost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back