Article's on Airscrews and prop's

Micdrow

“Archive”
10,775
4,711
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Location
Wisconsin
Small article on Airscrews

Enjoy
 

Attachments

Nice picture of some propellors.
 

Attachments

  • prop.JPG
    prop.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 753
New to this forum - hope to find out here why the props used for the airworthy Spitfires of today are wood.
(made in Germany, I believe..?) I realise that the early Spits had timber props.
My assumption would have been that metal was stronger. I'd appreciate any direct information or a pointer to an appropriate web source of info.
 
Don't know what engine it was attached to, but I'd sure like to know.....
 

Attachments

  • AeropucePoster.jpg
    AeropucePoster.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 513
New to this forum - hope to find out here why the props used for the airworthy Spitfires of today are wood.
(made in Germany, I believe..?) I realise that the early Spits had timber props.
My assumption would have been that metal was stronger. I'd appreciate any direct information or a pointer to an appropriate web source of info.
Hi.
I would guess the reason airworthy Spitfires and maybe other warbirds use wooden props is to avoid a complete "sudden stop" to the engine in case of collision. Such an event will (hopefully) only destroy the propeller.
 
I would think the wood props are made in Germany by a specialized company who makes hard to get props out of wood.The correct metal props would be too expensive if they can be found at all..Besides,Germany has a long history of making wood props..Ie..Luftwaffe….
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back