Article's on Airscrews and prop's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Small article on Airscrews

Enjoy

Attachments

• Airscrews.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,153
  • Airscrew materials.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 722
  • Repair wooden propellers.pdf
    684.4 KB · Views: 591
  • Varible Pitch airscrews.pdf
    699.9 KB · Views: 883
  • Counter rotating.pdf
    722.7 KB · Views: 497
  • Evolution Variable Pitch prop.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 925
Nice picture of some propellors.

Attachments

• prop.JPG
    prop.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 668
New to this forum - hope to find out here why the props used for the airworthy Spitfires of today are wood.
(made in Germany, I believe..?) I realise that the early Spits had timber props.
My assumption would have been that metal was stronger. I'd appreciate any direct information or a pointer to an appropriate web source of info.

New to this forum - hope to find out here why the props used for the airworthy Spitfires of today are wood.
(made in Germany, I believe..?) I realise that the early Spits had timber props.
My assumption would have been that metal was stronger. I'd appreciate any direct information or a pointer to an appropriate web source of info.
Hi.
I would guess the reason airworthy Spitfires and maybe other warbirds use wooden props is to avoid a complete "sudden stop" to the engine in case of collision. Such an event will (hopefully) only destroy the propeller.

I would think the wood props are made in Germany by a specialized company who makes hard to get props out of wood.The correct metal props would be too expensive if they can be found at all..Besides,Germany has a long history of making wood props..Ie..Luftwaffe….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back