Data Base: Japanese Aircraft Engines (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As the list I previously posted in #12 (Please download it to see in larger size) shows, Lorraine 400hp and 450hp were manufactured by Nakajima during 1925-1926 and 1927-1929 respectively. Hiro Arsenal and Aichi joined production from 1928 and 1930 respectively too. Each detail by the model and the factory is unknown but totally 127 manufactured by them. No more details are available even in our local Wiki regretly. This is all that I can answer. Wish above may help.

Thank you for your feedback Shinpachi. I have added the 127 quantity in my text. I am still hoping that someday a member will be able to provide more data about the Hiro engines... I have to be patient!

If I could get some help with translation. I would be very much happy and greatful. Tried ocr then translate programs, but it didn't work. Wish I had better copy.

N1K1%20table_zpsxmbwnmvw.jpg

If I could get some help with translation. I would be very much happy and greatful. Tried ocr then translate programs, but it didn't work. Wish I had better copy.

Hello, mad_max!

I have no exact copy but the table format of your copy is coming from the maker manual though numerical values are replaced with the IJN test data by the publisher.
If you are interested, here is a copy of the maker manual introduced in Mechanic of World Aircraft in high resolution for OCR.
Sorry for my large file size of 6,714 x 3,033 pixels.

N1K_Spec_Maker_Manual_300dpi.JPG

Last edited:
Good evening,

Does someone has information to the fuel consumption (g.p.h.) on cruise and combat condition of the Nakajima Sakae 12 and 21 engine? Thanks

Fuel consumption per hour listed in the A6M2 and the A6M3 manuals as a reference:

--------------- normal max ----------- nominal --------------- takeoff

Sakae 12 ---- 247L(65.25gal) ------- 322L(85.07gal) -------- 390L(103.03gal)

Sakae 21 ---- 295L(77.93gal) ------- 420L(110.96gal) ------- 485L(128.13gal)

Performance_Sakae_12.JPG
Performance_Sakae_21.JPG

Is there anybody who knows the valve timing of the Sakae? I think it'd be interesting to see considering how good of performance the engine gave considering its configuration. There's a photo of a Sakae dataplate on the AEHS website, but it is frustratingly blurry and some of the information is obscured.:angry8:

Last edited:
I lately became interested in an issue with negative G's and inverted flight and if it affected the Japanese engines.
However both pilot statement and original documentation say that it was not a case, the earliest source I managed to find, was Type 99 950 HP engine manual (Ha-25 engine) and at page 25 it indicates:
"At the special flight situation drastic maneuver often excessively change the gravity applied on vaporizer hence float mechanism can work improperly, leaving composite gas density thinner and eventually stops the engine, so this vaporizer has worked out for adapting to those situation by setting fuel control devices such as gravity valve and flow restriction valve to make automatic fuel supplement available in order to facilitate the operation of engine during any kind of gravity change. "
This was my rough translation of this part :
trd9EC.jpg

Last part indicates that issue not only was known but is solved.

And indeed both Hayabusa or Zero pilots, including Saburo Sakai confirm that it was not a case.

However is it know, I'm especially asking Shinpachi since he might have first hand data, if that was a problem for earlier models like A5M4 or Ki-27 ?

Hiromachi just curious where was this page taken from:)

Title: Sending description of model 99 950-horsepower motor
Reference Code: C01004945200
Copy and paste the reference code at JACAR site.

0925.JPG

Shinpachi, I have viewing all the engine manuals but one thing I do not see is time limits for Militray Power or War Emergency Power for the ones that do have those higher boosts. Most U.S. Fighters had a 5 minute WEP and 15-30 minute Military power. Any thoughts on this?

Shinpachi, I have viewing all the engine manuals but one thing I do not see is time limits for Militray Power or War Emergency Power for the ones that do have those higher boosts. Most U.S. Fighters had a 5 minute WEP and 15-30 minute Military power. Any thoughts on this?

It was within 1 minute for the max output (= take-off output) and within 30 seconds for the emergency diving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back