Five Engine B-17 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
The recent post of the B-17 with turbo-props reminded me of a B-17 used
as a test bed by installing an engine in the nose. I finally found the article
and am posting it here. Article and photo from Wiki

Charles

The B-17G (SN 44-85734) flown by the Liberty Foundation did not see combat in World War II. While it is carries the name "Liberty Belle" it is not the World War Two bomber of that name and fame.

Originally sold on June 25, 1947 as scrap to Esperado Mining Co. of Altus, OK, it sold again later that year to Pratt Whitney for $2,700. Pratt Whitney operated the B-17 from November 19, 1947 to 1967 as a heavily modified test bed for their P&W T-34 and T-64 turboprop engines. It became a "5-engine aircraft", having the powerful prototype engine mounted on the nose. The aircraft was flown "single-engine", with all four radial engines feathered during test flights. Following this life as a test platform, it was donated in the late 1960s to the Connecticut Aeronautical Historic Association (now the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks, CT. During a tornado on October 3, 1979 another aircraft was thrown onto the B-17's mid-section, breaking the Fortresses back.

The B-17 was eventually purchased by aviation enthusiast Don Brooks who formed the Liberty Foundation to restore and exhibit the plane as the "Liberty Belle." Restoration of 44-85734 began in 1992 with parts from another damaged B-17 (44-85813). She returned to the air December 8 2004 and has been touring the air show circuit since then. The Liberty Foundation also has a historic overseas tour planned in July of 2008 for the Liberty Belle along the northern ferry route to England. The promotional video can be found on YouTube under Liberty Belle B-17 Overseas Tour.

Attachments

• boe-b17turbo.jpg
    boe-b17turbo.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3,543
Very cool Charles,

Here are a couple of more from the book B-17 flying fortress in detail and scale Part 2 derivatives.

First one is with a Allison T-56
Second one with XT-35 engine
Third one with a Wright R-3350 engine.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 2,298
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,725
Hi Micdrow,
Nice stuff here.:D THX
To be honest the B-17 with these engines looks really strange.Although the one equipped with the Wright R-3350 engine looks quite good.

Hi Micdrow,
Nice stuff here.:D THX
To be honest the B-17 with these engines looks really strange.Although the one equipped with the Wright R-3350 engine looks quite good.

Your welcome, I kinda like the look of that one also.

I just wonder if the one with the R 3350 engine has enough ass for a one
engine take off ? I know it was just a test bed and they probably didn't
start #5 till they were airborn. Just wondering...

Charles

I just wonder if the one with the R 3350 engine has enough ass for a one
engine take off ? I know it was just a test bed and they probably didn't
start #5 till they were airborn. Just wondering...

Charles
Where are Paul Mantz and Frank Tallman when we need them? Just wondering...
If anybody could do it they could.
A turbo compound 3350 should be good for nearly 1 HP/Cu In, not much less than a B17 with one feathered. Lightly loaded and with that big wing, I betcha Tallmantz could pull it off.
Cheers,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back