Terminology and engine data (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes. The "W" in the engine name denotes the presence of the ADI system (water-methanol injection in P&W engines). When the system is engaged, the engine can operate in higher boost, in WER (USN terminology; USAF was using 'WER wet' teminology?), or 'Combat' setting.

added: seems like the USAF did not used the term 'WER wet' much (not at all?), especially if only way of achieving WER was the use of ADI.

Last edited:
The last power plant chart is very interesting. The normal rated - maximum continuous was unlimited if the cylinder head temperature was under 232°C. Limited to 1 hour if the temperature was 260°C.
Is it possible to find R-2800-1 to -7 power charts?

I've never seen the early R-2800 power charts, maybe you might check at the people at AEHS about those? The -2, -4, and -6 should be the USN variants, and the -4 (actually, the XR-2800-4) should be the one that was powering the XF4U, ie. the Corsair prototype. I doubt those early engines ever flew in combat units. The -4 belonged to the A series R-2800s, data from US hundred thousands:
TO: 1850 HP/2600 rpm
military: 1850/2600 at 2700 ft
1500/2600 at 14000 ft
normal (max cont): 1500/2400 at 7500 ft
1450/2400 at 13000 ft

The -1, -3, -5 and -7 should be the USAF engines. The single stage -1 was to power the production variant of the (X)P-44, however that plane never passed 'paper' stage (despite what Wikipedia says about the speed of 400+ mph etc). The two stage -3, a variant of the -1 also never flew in service airplane. The -5 was powering the early incarnations of the B-26. The -7 was to be the turbo version of the -5, again it's doubtful that it ever flew.
All of those A series R-2800s are listed in that table about the US aero engines.

Infact i read about -1 -3 -5 -7 in US aero engines. And i hope almost a -5 variant power chart.
About -4 variant. Where did you find the power output? Are there the manifold pressures?

The data is from the book "America's hundred-thousand" by Francis H. Dean, and I fully recommend it.
Unfortunately, the manifold pressures are not stated, book stating the -4 was a two stage engine. The power chart should not be hard to draw, since main particulars are known.

Hellcat's engine:

chart R-2800-10 ntrl.JPG

chart R-2800-10 low.JPG

chart R-2800-10 high.JPG

Last edited:
DB-601/603/605 tables curves. The curve for the DB-601E is available here. Useful power tables about German engines can be found here.

added: some of the charts are previously provided by our member krieghund
added 2: table for the DB-603A:
table DB603-A.JPG

Attachments

• db 601 603 605.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Some Merlin and Jumo-213 stuff I have. More Merlin data can be obtained at WWII Aircraft Performance. The chart about late war German engines is the 'negative' from the one posted at Kurfurst's site, the lines then colored so the graph is easier to read.

Attachments

• merlinE.zip
    503.1 KB · Views: 312
  • jumo 213.zip
    370.6 KB · Views: 302
Now i post some informations about Piaggio P.XIX RC45. These come from the Reggiane Re.2002 manual.
This engine first ran in 1940. It was a Piaggio P.XI RC40 evolution. This used 92 octane fuel. The boost isn't high. A bit more than Piaggio P.XI RC40.
Power continuous output at altitude was similar to Bristol Hercules with 87 octane fuel. But Piaggio engine takeoff rpm (2400) was slower than Hercules rpm (2800). Consequently the power output at takeoff was lower. It's evident that boost in italian engines was lower than allied engines. But similar to german engine boosts. Almost in the first part of WWII.
Piaggio P.XIX RC45.jpg

@tomo pauk. Have you other informations about soviet engine? I have little or no informations about continuous power output and related boost. Is it possible to find these data?

Now i post some informations about Piaggio P.XIX RC45. These come from the Reggiane Re.2002 manual.
This engine first ran in 1940. It was a Piaggio P.XI RC40 evolution. This used 92 octane fuel. The boost isn't high. A bit more than Piaggio P.XI RC40.
But note the higher compression ratio, from 6/1 to 7/1.
The evolutionary steps in Piaggio radials tecnology seem linear. P.XI RC.40, 6/1, 860 mm hg; P.XII RC.35, 6.5/1, 870 mm hg; P.XIX RC.45, 7/1, 880 mm hg.

As promised to Greg, here is the power curve for Klimov V-12 engines that matter (and for VK-106 :) ). The table covering those is posted at post #7 in this thread.

105106107.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back