Terminology and engine data (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Imagine who added the link to en wiki......somehow I missed the max power rating (now fixed).

Cool stuff, Dennis :)
IIRC you've corrected the type of cooling (pressurized vs. non pressurized?) for an German engine (don't remember what one) some time ago?

added: the Russian book about the aero engines, from 1939, can be downloaded from here.
added 2: the German book about Soviet areo engines can be downloaded from this thread

Last edited:
Thanks, but i have an a.74 manual and an article in this interesting magazine (with the same table you post to me, at page 143, near the end of the document).

View attachment AeroFan 1980-4.pdf

Now i'm trying to write a table with R-1830 and V-1710 evolution history, especially for 1937-1941 period (i have only some data, but they sufficed, for the moment. I'm studing boost evolution, rpm evolution (i'm converting rpm in speed: meters/seconds, m/s. So these data wil be comparable). Then i want to comparethem to other engines from USA, UK, Germany and especially Italy.

@tomo pauk, have you seen the IF asso XI graph?

Thanks, but i have an a.74 manual and an article in this interesting magazine (with the same table you post to me, at page 143, near the end of the document).

Thanks for the mag. The posting of the A.74 table was for the broad audience :)

Now i'm trying to write a table with R-1830 and V-1710 evolution history, especially for 1937-1941 period (i have only some data, but they sufficed, for the moment. I'm studing boost evolution, rpm evolution (i'm converting rpm in speed: meters/seconds, m/s. So these data wil be comparable). Then i want to comparethem to other engines from USA, UK, Germany and especially Italy.

Maybe you're investing too much of a work space for the conversion between RPM and m/s?
I have the book 'Vees for victory', so feel free to ask data :)

@tomo pauk, have you seen the IF asso XI graph?

I've seen the graphs, what one you have in mind?

BTW, any info about the Piaggio P.XI RC 40, other than 'nominal power' of 1000 HP at 2200 rpm at 4000m (or 4500m?)? You have the PM :)

Last edited:
Basically the R-1830 started at 2400rpm in experimental models, went to 2550/2600rpm on first service models that used 87 octane fuel. The vast majority of R-1830s could use 2700rpm for take-off, a few late models could run 2800rpm but I believe those were after 1942? usually rated at 1350hp.
The engines in the P-36 were good for 2700rpm for take-off so for the period in question the max RPM stayed the same. Apparently the compression ratio did to. Power variations with different fuels came from varying allowable boost and different supercharger set ups.

All "production" Allisons ran at 3000rpm max until the near the end of the war when a some of the very last ones made ( or post war for P-82s) ran at 3200rpm. Power variations came from different superchargers and supercharger gears and beefing up of parts to handle more boost. ALL but a handful of Allisons used the same compression ratio.

Now i post some tables from Piaggio P.XI RC40 manual. But italian manuals have less informations than us, english and german ones.
Piaggio PXI - 8.jpg
Piaggio PXI.jpg
Piaggio PXI - 1.jpg
Piaggio PXI - 3.jpg
Piaggio PXI - 4.jpg
Piaggio PXI - 5.jpg
Piaggio PXI - 6.jpg
Piaggio PXI - 7.jpg

I wanted to post the Gnome Rhone 14N manual (70,9 MB), but it excede the limit for uploads (50 MB).

So i post some Hispano Suiza tables data.

Hispano Suiza 12Y.jpg
Hispano Suiza 12Y - 1.jpg
Hispano Suiza 12Y - 2.jpg
Hispano Suiza 12Y - 3.jpg
Hispano Suiza 12Y - 4.jpg

I prepare some data arrangements because i want to compare chronologically the different engine characteristics, exspecially boost (mmHg, inHg, + psi, ata), RPM (and speed in m/s) and output per liter (cv/L). And i see the situation described by Shortround6. But i can understand more... if i use other engines data.

@tomo pauk
there are 2 graphs that i interested. One about IF Asso XI RC 40 and the other for the IF Asso XI RC 15 first version. We see in the graphs other output points (small circlets). But there aren't infos about them. I suppose them as combat or emergency power outputs. What do you think?

That is some exceptional data, siboh :D

For the G&R 14N manual, maybe you could have it hosted at web services available, like mediafire.com? Or, take the screenshots of the grapgs tables, save them as the .jpg files (using the MS Paint) and then post them here?

I've condensed the performance data about the Asso 40, hopefully everything of immediate interest is here. The small circlets might represent the maximum power, since they are located at the 2400 rpm line (and at 2200 rpm), and the maximum manifold pressure looks like 890 mm Hg at ~3500 m. The power would be 955 HP there, at 2400 rpm, and 890 HP on 2200 rpm and ~880 mm Hg.
(open the picture in separate tab, in order to see it in high resolution)

crve.JPG

We still have quite work to accomplish in order to equal your contribution here :)

@tomo pauk, do you speak italian?

I can manage some texts, but I guess your's English is better than my Italian. Of course, I'll appreciate any tables, charts and articles you (or anybody else) post here, no matter what language the stuff is.

added: a discussion about the Issota-Fraschini engines (can be translated):
http://it.cultura.storia.militare.narkive.com/Sb8ElqEt/motori-isotta-fraschini
BTW, English-language Wikipedia would want us to believe that IS Zeta was a V-12 engine :D

added 2: many charts about early war engines (the .rar file works):
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/engine-power-curves-35520.html#post974780

Last edited:
IF Zeta was a 24 X cylinder engine, 8 x 4 cylinder. I know only that it was a double 12v Gamma engine. Gamma engine was a 12V engine. Bore was 125 mm. Stroke was 130 mm. Displacement was 19,14 L.
Zeta has probably a 38,28 L displacement. Continuous outupt was 1250 cv.
The link is a data collection. But no new data. I think there is an ignorance about engines in Italy. And italian aircraft literature follows this trend... I like to see the IF Assi L.121 RC40 manual engine. But it's very difficult!

6 cylinders x 4 row = 24 cylinders
not 8 x 4!!!!!! Sorry!!!!

IF Zeta was a 24 X cylinder engine, 8 x 4 cylinder. I know only that it was a double 12v Gamma engine. Gamma engine was a 12V engine. Bore was 125 mm. Stroke was 130 mm. Displacement was 19,14 L.
Zeta has probably a 38,28 L displacement. Continuous outupt was 1250 cv.
The link is a data collection. But no new data. I think there is an ignorance about engines in Italy. And italian aircraft literature follows this trend... I like to see the IF Assi L.121 RC40 manual engine. But it's very difficult!

Table and chart for the R-2800-30W. Note the slight mismatch between them in military powers. And some after-cooling effect of the ADI, judging by WER and military critical altitudes?

30W.JPG

ch30w.JPG

R-2800-34W, (unfortunately, I don't have values for the WER):

chart R-2800-34w.JPG

70 in Hg was available in high gear, at at least 10kft:

table R-2800-34w.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back