P-47 Performance Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Thread on the performance of the P-47

Attachments

• P47B, C,D and G performance.pdf
    392 KB · Views: 831
  • P-47 evaluations.pdf
    907.3 KB · Views: 636
Great to have this new sub-forum!

One question regarding the P-47 D that bugs me for some time: Does anybody know when paddle blades were introduced to them exactly, and to what extent they increased performance ?

TIA!

One question regarding the P-47 D that bugs me for some time: Does anybody know when paddle blades were introduced to them exactly, and to what extent they increased performance ?

TIA!

Hi Kurfurst,

The Evensville plant used the paddle blade prop.

Evensville built 889 P-47D-23-RE thunderbolts.
Farmingdale plant built 850 P-47D-22-RE Thunderbolts.

From what I read the only real difference between the D-22 and the D-23 was the manufactures choice of propellor. So far I have not seen anything on performance differences.

Will keep my eyes open for more info but maybe this will help answer your questions.

Picture from Squadron signal P-47 in action book 67

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,694

TIA!

Kurfurst - the first kits came to the 56FG in the middle of January and were retrofitted to the -10 through -20 IIRC. Paul has the right factory original equipped I think. This obviously is not a 'specific date' but I would throw Jan 11 out as a near miss.

They significantly improved low altitude acceleration and initial climb performance according to the pilots that used both. I have never seen actual flight test comparisons.

The 355th never got them before they converted to Mustangs six weeks later

Maybe this will help...or maybe not! *-) This is off an old HD and I have no idea where it came from. I'd love to credit who put this up, but I can't.

The dashed lines will be for the "paddle prop". It was really called a high activity propeller.

<
p47dclimbandspeed7kd.jpg

Thanks alot for these!

Do you have any power settings (cruise max cruise, eco cruise, etc) for the R2800-59 in the P-47D? All of those specs are for the R2800-21.

Added a new file in the top message from the RAAF archives. This is an evaluation of the P-47 as a night fighter and against a variety of aircraft.

Enjoy

Hello im new in the forum and there is no best place than this to salute you. Im a big fanatic of the P47 and i need your help pls

I need the operational dates of P-47C and P-47D, you know when arrived to England and when they did its first mission, especially the D model

Maybe this will help...or maybe not! *-) This is off an old HD and I have no idea where it came from. I'd love to credit who put this up, but I can't.

You can find that diagram in the book America's Hundred Thousand, by Dean.

The Soviets tested a P-47 at NII VVS. The results can be seen in the chart below. I have also added a couple of US tests to give an idea of the results obtained. I was wondering if someone had more details on the Soviet test: fuel used, state of the aircraft... the one tested had flown all the way from Alaska to Moscow (see map).

ubyf.png

n96.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back