F8F-1 "SAC" - Chart Analysis Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The chart doesn't list the boost pressure used. In the flight manual as much as 70 in of MAP are listed for WEP at 6000ft using high gear on the supercharger. It may be a case of how much pressure the supercharger can supply at what altitudes?

It may be complicated by the fact that the engine ratings in the table in the box do not appear to include RAM.

I would note that a few other things on this chart do not line up with what the flight manual says either. Like ordnance carried and max bombload.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/at...tech/43575d1181164775-f8f-bearcat-f8f-1-2.pdf

The chart doesn't list the boost pressure used. In the flight manual as much as 70 in of MAP are listed for WEP at 6000ft using high gear on the supercharger. It may be a case of how much pressure the supercharger can supply at what altitudes?

It may be complicated by the fact that the engine ratings in the table in the box do not appear to include RAM.

I would note that a few other things on this chart do not line up with what the flight manual says either. Like ordnance carried and max bombload.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/at...tech/43575d1181164775-f8f-bearcat-f8f-1-2.pdf

Ordnance carried is correct. The same ordnance listed here is also listed in the old F8F-1 SAC dated June 1945 that was posted on the forums (I believe in the F8F climb rate thread). Max bomb capabilities is indeed 3600 pounds - 1 fusalage 1600 pound bomb along with 2 wing mounted 1000 pound bombs = 3600. The F8F never flew (to my knowledge) with 3600 pounds worth of bombs equipped however as the loading they would take is 2x wing mounted 1000 pounders and 1x 150 gal external fuel tank on the fuselage. What do you find incorrect about the ordnance listed?

In the F8F manual, on the engine rating/MAP chart, performance is listed with 115/145 octane. It doesn't show the MAP limit with combat power when using 100/130 octane fuel - which is what the document posted above uses. Wouldn't this explain the differences?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back