Multi rocket boosted jet fighter? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerGiLLster

Airman
May 1, 2015
So there has been very limited, yet notable, testing on the Me 262 with assisted rockets to boost takeoff, as the early jet engines had low power on takeoff. My question is this, could there have been a Me 262 with four detachable rocket boosters to help with takeoff?

I also understand that the takeoff length of the Me 262 was sluggishly long being around three thousand feet for an experienced pilot. Let's say the Me 262 was assisted by four Walter HWK 109 rockets all aside the jet engines.

Would it have been possible to do, as well as practical? Would this have significantly reduced the takeoff length of the jet fighter?

Can't speak with any authority but a lot would depend upon the airframe itself, i.e., coud it withstand the stresses. Given that it could then the answer is yes. The US experimented with JATO units back in WWII and heavy lifters like the C-130 use RATO units to shorten take off.
The Me-262 were the most vunerable to attack during take-off and landings, a fact, that US fighters used to their advantage. Many 262s were shot down at those times. The 262's engines were pointed above level for that very reason. The hot exhaust playing havoc with the runway surface

Attachments

• C-130T_Hercules_Blue_Angels.jpg
    C-130T_Hercules_Blue_Angels.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 264

Users who are viewing this thread

Back