Russian Fighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ernst

Airman
May 4, 2009
There is a lack of threads about russian fighters here. I cannot find reliable performance data about MIGs, Yaks and Las.

It Will be very insteresting more info related to this ones.

There is a lack of threads about russian fighters here. I cannot find reliable performance data about MIGs, Yaks and Las.

Ernst, there is more interest in the Western fighters (American, British and German) than Soviet fighters on this site. However, if you search, you will find information on Soviet aircraft. I would try and use the Search feature to pull up posts about a particular Soviet plane. I echo Lucky13's sentiments - welcome to the forum. His suggestion is also a good one. If you start a thread about a specific plane or theme, for example "Which Were Better - Yak's or La's?" you will get responses, maybe more than you expected!

Venganza

I always found the IS-1 intresting. Now thats an RC challenge.

Attachments

• is-1.jpg
    is-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 543
Some specs:-

Attachments

• spec1.jpg
    spec1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 901
  • spec2.jpg
    spec2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 869
more:-

Attachments

• spec3.jpg
    spec3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 727
  • spec4.jpg
    spec4.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 677
  • spec5.jpg
    spec5.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 612
Thank you bigZ! What book is this? Can i buy it in internet? I am just few months interested in warbirds.

Actualy i have been reading Von Mises book to understand better the dynamics of propeller powered aircraft.

Great stuff there BigZ, I havent posted much to be honest because I dont have alot of stuff on russian aircraft and the stuff I do have. Well I cant read Russian and am not familiar enough to tell what is what.

A fantastic book. Its a pity Russian aircraft of WWII don't get a look in here in the West as theirs sme intresting stuff. Vol 2 is on bombers. Micdrow thanks. You still the King when it comes to info.:D

Attachments

• book.jpg
    book.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 533
A fantastic book. Its a pity Russian aircraft of WWII don't get a look in here in the West as theirs sme intresting stuff. Vol 2 is on bombers. Micdrow thanks. You still the King when it comes to info.:D

Thanks BigZ but like you said we need more russian aircraft. If you have more please share or any one else. I just post stuff people think is interesting. Any one is free to add more and the more the better for every one!!!

One that could have been a contender but for engine problems. The I-185. Estimated top level speed @22,500' of 441mph. According to test pilots it had excellent handling.

Attachments

• i-185.jpg
    i-185.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 561
The I-221(see chart above for performance), Soviet equivalant if the FW ta 152H if the war had continued.

Attachments

• i-221.jpg
    i-221.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 471
The I-221(see chart above for performance), Soviet equivalant if the FW ta 152H if the war had continued.

I'd forgotten about this one. Looks like a MiG-3 on steroids (which, in a sense, I suppose it was). Oh and great performance charts, bigZ, thank you!

Venganza

I think they had some excellent fighters (Yak-9 and Pe-2i being my favorites), but they seem to be on average lightly armed compared to other Allied/German fighters.

You're correct, vikingBerserker, at least in the number of guns. What the Soviets liked were a few large caliber guns around the engine and/or firing through the spinner. The Yak's are a good example of this, with some having a 12.7 mm gun on the engine paired with a cannon firing through the spinner, from 20mm to 37mm to even 45mm with the Yak-9K! I think they liked the concentrated cone of fire and keeping the wings free of armament kept them lighter and the plane more maneuverable. It was just a different philosophy than that used by Western aircraft.

Venganza

However this "big guns" had a poor rate of fire and lack of ammunition. Russian philosophy was lighten the aircraft, but i guess if mostly of the Russian pilots can deal with such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back