structural differences between Naval f-15 and Air Force f-15 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

flyingvic

Recruit
Oct 9, 2011
I am trying to do some research on the structural differences between an f-15 for the Navy and the Air Force. I am a flight student at Elizabeth City State University; doing a presentation on this. The basic information I have so far is that an f-15 for the Navy has to be lighter and stronger than one for the Air Force due to the hard landings on a carrier. If anyone can give just a little bit of insight into this, it would greatly help....the Boeing website and archives do not really help nor give more than basic specifications.

Naval F15's?..., maybe a few touch and goes at Pauxtant River, on a runway marked to the same size of a carriers deck of 60's/70's era, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't ever been a proper 'navalised' Eagle...

Prey tell, could you tell where you heard this Naval Eagle info, and might you be getting mixed up with the navalised F-111 debacle/scandle...

I was at an air show talking to a gentlemen from the navy. I asked if they use the f-35 for the navy. he responded saying that the f-35 would have to be redesigned for the navy. I assumed that this was done for the f-15 already.

so they have only made slight modifications for an f-15 to land on a carrier? such as the landing hook.

The F-15 was never intended as a naval fighter. The F-35 has 3 versions being developed for the Navy, Air Force and Marines.

The landing hook is not for naval use, its is for emmergency runway use should the brakes fail - it's held in up position by an explosive bolt - a one use only hook. F-35 is getting there, but imho, its a definate waste of money for vtol versions - it'll be as useful as a Yak-38 Forger was vs. Harrier II - should make Harrier III instead...

THe F-15N was a navalized version that was proposed to the USN, however to the best of my knowledge it was never built. The design called for folding wings, strengthened tail hook, and strengthened landing gear. The problem was it raised the weight something like 1 to 2 tons. I have more data on it somewhere, if you need more data let me know and I'll start digging.

Best of luck on your project.

Thank you guys this is great. I think I have enough to make a brief power point presentation for the classmates of mine that do not know. Any new technology that is in the F-35? what does the N-in F-15N mean?-Naval-?

There are other potential issues with a navalised F-15, namely low speed handling characteristics at high AoA..

The F-15 and 16 were designed for long straight approaches to long runways and low speed/high AoA may not have been baked intot he wing designs.

A quick clue would be to look up the F-18 wing/low speed characteristics versus either the F-15 or F-16... and compare relative GW's to see what the high AoA stall break looks like at what speed?

I am a flight student at Elizabeth City State University; doing a presentation on this.

If you are still hanging around and still interested in the topic with the new semester, I'd also recommend you look up Mr. Gooden in your department. He is a retired Naval Aviator and a super guy. He may have some useful info for you, even though he was a Rotor Head. :shock: :D A title given with the greatest admiration and respect. He flew a really cool, speedy little helicopter and did an interesting mission under very challenging circumstances. :salute:). I am also wondering whether you are making a common mistake of confusing the now extinct Grumman F-14 with Boeing-MacDac's F-15. The two are superficially similar (twin tails, twin engines) but are occasionally conflated into one generic dual-service aircraft. Good luck with the program.

Last edited:
As I recall the Navy did acquire a few F-15's for dissimilar air combat training at Top Gun. They were based in Florida and painted like Navy agressors. But tghey were not modified in any meaningful way ... they were there for dissimilar combat trainiing only (along wiht a few F-16's, too). The Navy and Air Force also had a few Soviet-block aircraft inclusding a few MiG-29's that were not modified at all either. Again, they were studied a bit and then used for dissimilar air caombat training.

As I recall the Navy did acquire a few F-15's for dissimilar air combat training at Top Gun. They were based in Florida and painted like Navy agressors. But tghey were not modified in any meaningful way ... they were there for dissimilar combat trainiing only (along wiht a few F-16's, too). The Navy and Air Force also had a few Soviet-block aircraft inclusding a few MiG-29's that were not modified at all either. Again, they were studied a bit and then used for dissimilar air caombat training.
The USN NEVER operated the F-15 in any capacity, that's not to say that the navy had USAF pilots participate in dissimilar aircraft training
Wasn't the F-16N the USN designation for their aggressor squadron Falcons/Vipers? (Though these were non-navalized)
Correct
800px-F-16N_A-4F_NFWS_over_Lower_Otay_Reservoir_1991.jpg

Actually, there was a F-16N. They were stationed at both Miramar and Key West to be used as Aggressor aircraft. In the beginning they were going to use Air Force and civilian maintenance personnel, but ended up shutting down Key West Aggressor squadron because of budget cut. I tried to get station there but the Air Force sent me to Korea instead.

We've had a few Navy fliers at the museum say they had fought against F-15's in dissimilair air combat training, and that they were crewed by Navy personnel. I didin't ask about designations, I listened.

Perhaps they were mistaken and they were crewed by USAF personnel, I don't know. Not saying they did or didn't, I am saying I have heard it said by then-current Navy jet fighter pilots. I have no idea whether or not these guys are still in the Navy as I haven't seen them again since about 2009 when they flew at one of our airshows with a pairs of F-18's.

I also had supper with Hoot Gibson once. He is a former Navy fighter pilot and astronaut. He had flown covering flights in an F-14 for the last withdrawl from Viet Nam and he mentioned he had flown against F-16's is dissimilair air combat training, too. He didn't mention the F-15.

I also have heard Air Force pilots say they had flown against Navy planes in exercises, but they were flying F-16's at the time I heard them and never mentioned the type they were flying when the exercises occurred.

I SAW Navy jets flying out of Elmendorf at least twice while in Alaska (Anchorage). They were in low-vis paint and I didn't see the insignia either time ... perhaps they were Canadian, can't say. I was looking for it but never saw the fake canopies painted on the underside of many Canadian Hornets, but they still might have been Canadian. Usually if a Canadian aircraft is painted anything other than standard, it will stand out as a non-USA paint scheme ... but not always.

I DO remember some Buccaneers taking part in a Red Flag exercise in which they surprised a couple of USAF F-15's and bagged them from the deck. It made the news at the time, expecially if you were in government weapon systems as I was at the time. Can't recall if they were Royal Navy or Royal Air Force Buccaneers ... it was in the 1980's. The Buccaneer was (and is) one of my favorite British jets, so it made an impression.

Last edited:
We've had a few Navy fliers at the museum say they had fought against F-15's in dissimilair air combat training, and that they were crewed by Navy personnel. I didin't ask about designations, I listened.

Perhaps they were mistaken and they were crewed by USAF personnel, I don't know. Not saying they did or didn't, I am saying I have heard it said by then-current Navy jet fighter pilots. I have no idea whether or not these guys are still in the Navy as I haven't seen them again since about 2009 when they flew at one of our airshows with a pairs of F-18's.

I could tell you straight up, they were mistaken. If they were maintained by Navy personnel, that means those folks would have gone through some type of training before they would have been allowed to even touch an aircraft not regularly operated by the USN. I know guys who worked at Fallon on F-16Ns - all of them had FAM training on the aircraft, there would have been accessible training programs for the F-15. When I was in the reserves 96 - 02 there was no such courses, training, FAM during that period or for 10 years prior.
I also had supper with Hoot Gibson once. He is a former Navy fighter pilot and astronaut. He had flown covering flights in an F-14 for the last withdrawl from Viet Nam and he mentioned he had flown against F-16's is dissimilair air combat training, too. He didn't mention the F-15.
I've met Hoot as well... ;)

Attachments

• DSCF2637.JPG
    DSCF2637.JPG
    603 KB · Views: 190
Hey, at least you were drinking a beer. Good on ya/. He's a great guy to talk with, and a superb pilot and person.

If that's the case, then maybe it was an exercise where the UASF and USN were practicing and the guys were mistaking the Eagle pilots for Navy pilots. On the other hand, I KNOW that USAF and USN pilots do exchange tours. I've spoken with a USAF pilot who did an exchange tour in F-18's with the Navy. He had some VERY interesting things to say.

I believe you that Navy didn't buy any, but there has to be SOME explanation that I am not aware of for the guys to have said what they said. Since I haven't seen them in maybe 5 years, I may never get to find out ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back