**** DONE: 1/48 Kittyhawk IV "Cleopatra III" - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Kittyhawk IV
Aftermarket addons: Eduard PE, the inevitable scratch built crap, etc....

At the risk of entering yet another P-40 in this build, I did clear this with the other builders by offering to do a Hellcat instead but the P-40 won out on the votes so here it is. I will depict the P-40N/Kittyhawk IV flown by S/L Geoff Atherton of 80 Squadron RAAF. This model will utilize the kit and decals from the Hasegawa kit depicting this aircraft:

923_rn.jpg

Lots of pictures of this aircraft exist. I'll post those that I collected below and tip my hat to some members here who may have posted these and from whom I copied them.

1_02.jpg
80sqnRAAF3.jpg
80sqnRAAF10.jpg
80sqnRAAF11.jpg
clip_image024.jpg
Curtiss-P-40N-Kittyhawk-RAAF-80sqn-BU-B-A29-629-Png-1944-03.jpg
ScannedImage-27.jpg
19feljc_36es_l.jpg

Although I've read the kind assistance offered to Igor (Imalko) on his excellent build of this same subject in 1/72 scale, I will welcome any and all feedback on this build as I'm not at all familiar with RAAF subjects. I'll start this build shortly after I finish Fireball.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do they do that???????

The stroke width is the same for all three code letters, both the "B" aicraft and the "U".
Also the bottom of the "U" is not a full rdius, it's bluddy flat, just like my little bum!

What do the deckles look like?

I agree that the profile is not a good one Bill. However, the rear single B is definitely bigger in the pics. The U does look flat on the bottom, however the decal U's are rounded.

This profile is a tad better.

1_04.jpg

Good one Andy. I think there is at least a hint of a curve to the 'U', with the angle of the photo - and the workmanship of the painter - making it look 'flatter' than it actually is.

Ah, very cool Peter, thanks! Very good detail of the painted out star and bars on the bottom wing.

Hasegawa's decal placement instructions are pretty muffed up for the starboard side:

clip_image022.jpg

Congrats on choosing the P-40!
I have always believed that no aircraft embodied "Hands across the Sea" better than the versatile and venerable P-40 series!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back