Next Group Build Commonwealth/Night fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tail end charlie

Senior Airman
Aug 24, 2010
From what I can gather the next group build is for commonwealth or night fighter planes. Well night fighter is quite simple but commonwealth is a bit different.

Is it:-

1 An aeroplane operated by a British Commonwealth country
2 An Aeroplane operated in a British commonwealth country
3 An aeroplane built in : Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, or Virginia.

From my side I am thinking of a Halifax, Lancaster, Wellington or Hudson operated from an aerodrome near to to me by the RCAF.

Any Ideas

From what I can gather the next group build is for commonwealth or night fighter planes. Well night fighter is quite simple but commonwealth is a bit different.

From my side I am thinking of a Halifax, Lancaster, Wellington or Hudson operated from an aerodrome near to to me by the RCAF.

Any Ideas
check this out , lots of crew , aircraft, nose art , the whole spectrum

http://www.6grouprcaf.com/

Great site, I raced motorcycles at Croft and Middleton is still my local airport. I will take some time looking over it Thanks
I heard the old guys remark on how close they were and the how circuits intersected making for many interesting recoverys

Any Ideas

Terry (Airframes) will provide an outline on what the requirements are closer to the build time with choices and guidelines....although I'm sure he will pop in with a briefing shortly....:D

Er .... guidelines as in previous GBs I guess. This particular one drew its title from a suggestion by a member or members, so I'm as clued-up as any one else as to the context!
Perhaps a few expanded suggestions from participants, and then I'll throw together the outline?

OK, I'll give it a go, since I was wondering this myself. Following are suggestions only, with no hurt feelings if eliminated, modified, or expanded upon.

1. Commonweath would obviously exclude axis aircraft
2. Time period - Sept 1939 to August 1945.
3. Excludes US and Russian aircraft and pilots.
4. Aircraft built by a commonwealth nation and flown by a commonwealth pilot. So no Poles, French, Czech, etc flying Brit planes.
5. All services may be represented, including training wings (e.g BCATP)
6. Exclude BoB, since overlapping.

That sounds good to me, except I have a concern for #4 (and it might just be nothing more then my ignorance which when it comes to this topic is not exactly lacking).

I know about the Boomerang, Wirrraway, Wacket, and the P-51 by Australia and the PBY by Canada. What others were there? I'm actually excited about this build because this is an area I'm not extremely strong in.

Any model representing aircraft flown by any commonweatlth squadron was my aim of this GB. That could included squadrons operating with the RAF (400 series etc) or local home based units. It doesn't matter what country built the aircraft, as long as it is modelled to represent one flown by a Commonwealth unit. This allows a fairly broad choice, as for example, you could choose to model a SAAF Boston in North Africa, a RNZAF Corsair in the Pacific or a RCAF spitfire over Europe. Obviously home built aircraft also meet the guide lines, eg RAAF Boomerang in New Guinea as do the less glamourous home based trainers/utility aircraft.
My intention was to highlight the contribution made by some of these lesser known and talked about units. HTH

David, yes. Map of Commonwealth countries: Red are former (Ireland and Zimbabwe).

Andy, I understand what you were going for now. Fine with me, mate.

Attachments

• 800px-Commonwealth_of_Nations_svg.png
    800px-Commonwealth_of_Nations_svg.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 311
Ok, I'll ask a very dumb question. Is Britian part of the Commonwealth? :oops:

WOT...WOT WOT WOT

havnt you heard of the commonwealth games? Its our only chance to stuff the Scots.

More seriously the commonwealth is more of a post war term for countries that were in what is known as the British empire (Dominions Colonies protectorates etc), Ireland didnt formally leave the commonwealth until 1948 around the same time as India became independant but remained within it. Many Irish served in the British armed services and it was part of the "deal" that many Irish had dual nationality if they chose (its complicated). I dont know what the Irish think of being grouped on a world map with only one country Zimbabwe

Last edited:
WOT...WOT WOT WOT

havnt you heard of the commonwealth games? Its our only chance to stuff the Scots.

More seriously the commonwealth is more of a post war term for countries that were in what is known as the British empire (Dominions Colonies protectorates etc), Ireland didnt formally leave the commonwealth until 1948 around the same time as India became independant but remained within it. Many Irish served in the British armed services and it was part of the "deal" that many Irish had dual nationality if they chose (its complicated). I dont know what the Irish think of being grouped on a world map with only one country Zimbabwe

From Wiki:
The Commonwealth was first officially formed in 1931 when the Statute of Westminster gave legal recognition to the independence of dominions. Known as the "British Commonwealth", the first members were the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Irish Free State and Dominion of Newfoundland.

This is the list for the WW2 time period, excluding Dominion of Newfoundland which was suspended in 1934 and later joined Canada in 1949.

In later years there has been more countries added - do you want to pin this down to a time period - commencement of hostilities 3/9/1939 to VJ Day?

"... What others were there? I'm actually excited about this build because this is an area I'm not extremely strong in."

Lots of Mosquitoes built in Toronto, lots of Hurricanes built in Thunder Bay (Ft. William), Lysanders, PBY's, Ansons, lots of Lancasters built in Toronto. Canadian factories used Packard Merlins (where applicable) the moment they became available.

MM

CAC was the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation in Australia. Took the below, from this link.

Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CAC produced an extremely wide range of aircraft for the Royal Australian Air Force and civilian operators. These aircraft included the:

* CAC CA-1, CA-3, CA-5, CA-7, CA-8, CA-9, CA-16 Wirraway (trainer and general purposes aircraft)
* CAC CA-2, CA-6 Wackett Trainer (trainer)
* CAC CA-12, CA-13, CA-14, CA-19 Boomerang (fighter)
* CAC CA-11 Woomera (prototype medium bomber)
* CAC CA-17, CA-18 Mustang /North American P-51 Mustang (fighter)
* CAC CA-15 "Kangaroo" (prototype fighter)
* CAC CA-28 Ceres (crop duster)
* CAC CA-22, CA-25 Winjeel (trainer)
* CAC CA-26, CA-27 Avon-Sabre (fighter)
* CAC CA-30 Macchi MB-326H (trainer)
* CAC CA-32 / Bell 206B Kiowa (light observation helicopter)

The Kiowa was the last type built by CAC. The company was part of the Australian Aircraft Consortium which designed the A10 Wamira, but this programme was cancelled in 1985 shortly after the prototype was completed. At the time of purchase by Hawker de Havilland, CAC had begun delivering components for the GAF-built version of the F/A-18 Hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back