Birds of Prey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Smokey

Senior Airman
Dec 17, 2004
Il2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey has beeen announced, with this amazing video!

Streaming video link:

GameVideos.com - IL2 Sturmovik: Birds Of Prey 'Debut' HD Video

Download the vid here:

WorthPlaying :: IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Pics:

30338_IL2BirdsofPrey-18_normal.jpg

30336_IL2BirdsofPrey-16_normal.jpg

30340_IL2BirdsofPrey-20_normal.jpg

30324_IL2BirdsofPrey-04_normal.jpg

30323_IL2BirdsofPrey-03_normal.jpg

30326_IL2BirdsofPrey-06_normal.jpg

30339_IL2BirdsofPrey-19_normal.jpg

30337_IL2BirdsofPrey-17_normal.jpg

30322_IL2BirdsofPrey-02_normal.jpg

Ok, it's a console game: IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Xbox-360, PS-3, Wii. Will probably be released on PC as well.

IGN: 1C Launches Console Development

But note, although there is a non-realistic physics "arcade" mode, there is also a hardcore realism mode similar to the PC game. (possibly with custom difficulties like in the PC?)

IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Preview
June 6, 2008 - Russian developer and publisher 1C announced its entry into the console market last night with the unveiling of several new games, including IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey, the first console version of the heralded World War II flight simulation series that is known for its incredibly realistic flight modeling and attention to detail.

As Anatoly Subbotin, 1C's PR manager, explained to us, almost all the air combat games that appear on consoles are arcade games with a few flight simulation elements added to them. Birds of Prey will differ because it is a flight simulator with a few arcade elements added to it. At the same time, the game will feature variable realism settings, ranging from a very forgiving arcade flight mode (it's impossible to stall out or get in a spin) to a hardcore realism mode that is comparable to the PC game.

And another video:
IGN Video: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Xbox 360 Trailer - Dog Fight

Birds of Prey appears to be based on the Il2 engine rather than the Storm of War engine, and in the most diffficukt mode there is a cockpit only view

Looks like they updated the graphics and damage modeling quite a bit though. (damage is rendered in real time, where bullets actually hit, like in SoW)

Interesting concept for the console world though. (I just hope the controls on the Wii are decent, unlike other flight sims so far, otherwise I hope it comes out on PC, likely but probably later)

And a high res version of the video, on IGN: IGN Video: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Xbox 360 Trailer - Dog Fight

And on the engine:
IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Preview
Birds of Prey will use the flight models that were developed for the PC game, but almost everything else was rewritten from scratch from the consoles. Visually, this is a gorgeous game; aircraft are rendered in sharp detail, but even more impressive were the fully 3D landscapes below. There are thousands and thousands of 3D trees, roads, villages, landmarks, cities, rivers, and more. Then there's a new damage modeling system where your plane can get chewed up pretty badly, to the point that it has gaping holes in the wings and fuselage, and that will affect your aircraft's handling on the more realistic difficulty levels.

My, my. You're telling me the 360 and Wii will be getting a good airplane game?! I hope they don't screw the controls and make it too arcade style. I hated that in Blazing Angels. I hope this game turns out well, consoles have disappointed me too much.

Particularly the Wii's controls were the worst, for Blazing angels. (though even on the PC it was a bit annoying -not a good set-up for a joystick- no independant rudder control, no throttle -just fast, normal, slow- and no cocpit view) They fixed some of that in BA 2.

I do hope BoP comes out for PC as well though, especially if the Wii version's controls suck. (I have a Wii) (they really need some kind of joystick attachment for the Wii remote)

And here's a good note: IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Preview
As Anatoly Subbotin, 1C's PR manager, explained to us, almost all the air combat games that appear on consoles are arcade games with a few flight simulation elements added to them. Birds of Prey will differ because it is a flight simulator with a few arcade elements added to it. At the same time, the game will feature variable realism settings, ranging from a very forgiving arcade flight mode (it's impossible to stall out or get in a spin) to a hardcore realism mode that is comparable to the PC game.
Quite a refreshing concept.

I actually disagree. I, too, own a Wii, and I don't see a need for a peripheral for flight controls, I just see a bunch of companies making crappy games for a quick, cheap buck. Since the motion controls were announced I've been thinking it over. I had something somewhere for it, but I can't seem to find what I'd consider to be ideal controls on the Wii at the moment. Last night I made a set for the 360, though.

Anyway, I'm glad it's a sim first, arcade second. I have high hopes for it.

I think I'll have to agree. The potential is there for good control arangements on the standard controlers, but in some cases this is far off. (in addition to the game's control arrangement and set-up in general being not that great, in the case of BA)

I have high hopes as well.

Old thread, but it seems like no one has noted that this was finally released and it did get a PC release too a few months later (last December).

I haven't played it yet (I don't think my current PC is very suited either), but it looks interesting. Keeps a lot of the realism side of the series but adds more to the game side with a more cinematic feel (engaging voice acting, a plot, soundtrack, dynamic chase view option, etc), so not quite as much in the hardcore simulation style as the original series.
There's also a less realistic arcade style mode that breaks away a lot further with far more forgiving controls (though I don't think it's too far from turning the difficulty options low in the previous games -apart from things like the chase view option and way points)
Not sure about the damage modeling, but it seems pretty detailed, though perhaps not as big a jump as the graphical enhancement.

In some ways it seems more like the more game-like flight sim games if that makes sense: like Secret Weapons over Normandy: interactive plot with characters, musical soundtrack, etc, but also seems to keep fairly close with the detail and realism of the original games, but not so much of the dry realistic simulation. (compared to SWON or Blazing Angels with very arcade style gameplay and far more poetic license with the fictional character storyline)
So that should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back