Dive Bombing Tactics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TenGunTerror

Airman
Jun 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I have given up on dogfighting because I suck at it and given up on bombing with 'heavies' because I can't understand a Norden Bombsight, so I love to dive bomb. I can't figure out any good tactics without using an external view, and I have no way to see my target, does anyone know how it's really supposed to be done? I love hitting targets but 40% of the time I miss. Thanks in advance.

Dive bombing and skip bombing are my favorite contribution to the virtual battlefield. Which aircraft do you have in mind?

You might try watching this video TenGunTerror.
It deals specifically with the Norden bomb sight in the game.
Norden Bombsight Training by Russell (Joe90) Boyd

Here is one that gives some insight into gunnery by the same film maker.
Wee Bit Films: Bag the Hun - a Moviestorm and IL2 experiment

More of his movies.
BBloke's IL2 Movie Database | IL2 Movie Database
Wee Bit Films

You might also check out some of the fims by Dart.
BBloke's IL2 Movie Database | IL2 Movie Database

Hope some of this help you and Have Fun no matter what. :)

Wheels

I personally favor the SBD-3 Amsel

As for the video's they are all fantastic except for the Norden Bombsight video. I hve watched it 5 times and have sent JOE90 PM's on youtube but he has not replied, I just don't understand what degree or angle you have the crosshairs pointing. Thanks for the great video's though:D

Have you mapped the keys for the bombsight ?
The commands that need keys mapped to them are under the "Gunsight / Bombsight Controls" heading in the "Controls" section.
I am referencing v4.08m so if you have an earlier version it may not be in the same area or have all of the same commands.
bombsightcontrols.jpg

Wheels

Have you mapped the keys for the bombsight ?
The commands that need keys mapped to them are under the "Gunsight / Bombsight Controls" heading in the "Controls" section.
I am referencing v4.08m so if you have an earlier version it may not be in the same area or have all of the same commands.
bombsightcontrols.jpg

Wheels

I understand how to use the bombsight in every way, but I don't understand what angle the bombsight should be at when you drop the bombs. I have another problem where when I use the level stabilizer the plane still drops altitude. I have messed with trim and flaps but still can't get it.

Try reading the manual (If you have PF) on how to use the bombsight. Unfortunately, Adobe Reader is not installed so I can't check it out for any tips on how to use the thing.

I'll try to check out the manual soon.

Last edited:
In the video he is manually adjusting the bombsight almost to the very last moment when the bombs are dropped automatically by the bombsight.
He uses the Toggle Sight Mode (Auto) feature to turn on the automatic bombsight.

If the plane is not keeping altitude properly when using Level Stabilizer it may not be trimmed properly.
Try adjusting the trim and engine speeds without using Levlel Stabilizer and see if you can get it to fly farily straight and level.
It should be possible.

Just guesses on my part hoping to find what is necessary for you to be able to use the Norden bombsight effectively.

Wheels

In the video he is manually adjusting the bombsight almost to the very last moment when the bombs are dropped automatically by the bombsight.
He uses the Toggle Sight Mode (Auto) feature to turn on the automatic bombsight.

If the plane is not keeping altitude properly when using Level Stabilizer it may not be trimmed properly.
Try adjusting the trim and engine speeds without using Levlel Stabilizer and see if you can get it to fly farily straight and level.
It should be possible.

Just guesses on my part hoping to find what is necessary for you to be able to use the Norden bombsight effectively.

Wheels

That's very helpful thank you, I'll have to turn off my slider since it jumps the throttle around quite a bit. I'll have to read the manual to understand the bombsight, it's still confusing. Thanks for your help.

Is there a good tutorial online for dive bombing? I have been trying to get back into dive bombing with the Stuka and Pe-2, but I always find myself having to twist in the dive to get a fix on the target. This seems to ruin my accuracy, I am sure I am mis-judging the time to nose over but I am not sure exactly where I am going wrong :cry:

Is there a good tutorial online for dive bombing? I have been trying to get back into dive bombing with the Stuka and Pe-2, but I always find myself having to twist in the dive to get a fix on the target. This seems to ruin my accuracy, I am sure I am mis-judging the time to nose over but I am not sure exactly where I am going wrong :cry:

That is exactly my problem too

As for the Norden Bombsight, I just got done trying to fix my effing trim. Nobody has a problem with it except for me, it is either too high or too low, never just right and I'm about to throw my cat out the window. I think I understand it besides the trim and I was wondering how I prevent my sight from slipping.

Hi Bomb Taxi.
I found this on Youtube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kklZmfRgCTg

This is a video using another bombsight for level bombing.
Mission4Today Downloads Using the LOTFE
It is in the .rar format so you will need Winrar or a program that unzips that extension.
I use 7zip because its free and hasn't been a problem to use.
I am still looking around for other videos, the links to the ones I knew don't work anymore.

If you have version 4.08m or higher there is a .pdf called "Aircraft Guide" and on page 408 it gives a good description of how to dive bomb with the JU-88.
You should be able to apply some of the tactics it describes to the Aircraft you are using.

Ten Gun the sim takes a while to understand and get working properly.
I see people on other forums who have spent a long time flying and still ask questions about their problems.
Until you can fly the plane straight and level you will always have trouble using the level bombing bombsights.
The more you practice the better you will get and the more you will enjoy the sim.
Have a fun 4th of July weekend. :)

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back