I16 trouble in 1946 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VALENGO

Senior Airman
Wen I perform a hard dive with an I 16 the engine turns off (maybe that it has no injection but an ordinary carburettor, I don´t remember), but once it is off, never comes to live again. I think that this last behavior is a bug, it should restart. Anyone knows something about it?

if by hard dive you mean just pushing the stick forward hard then yes they will shut off ( due to carby). I dont think you be able to start it again because its been "flooded" would be my guess could be wrong.

if you want to do a hard dive its best to go inverted then pull back on the stick, the early spits hurri's suffered the same thing until fuel injection came alaong, and pilots had to allow for this in dogfights. The 109's had a slight advantage becuase of it.

That Gladiator is another crate that has a carb, negative G's will starve that rascal and your suddenly left with the wonderful sound of silence...which REALLY sucks when it happens in the middle of a brawl!

On the I16, You might try switching off the engine, and then switch it on, see if that helps any.

When I flare-out an engine on my Me262, I have to shut off the ignition, then go through the restart sequence to get 'er re-lit.

Well, when I hit the "toggle engine on-off" key I only get "engine off", that´s the reason why I think about it as a bug. If it is well modeled, several attempts to start with power at zero should be enough to drain the excess of gas.
Thanks to everyone for the answers!

Hey Valengo, I ran some quicks running the I-16 and I was able to get it to "starve", though it was considerably harder than a Gladiator...

I was also able to get it to restart after some difficulty, so now I understand what you've been going through!

I had best success by moving the throttle to halfway, and then pressing the I key twice. As the engine catches, I throttle up to about 90% and away I go.

One thnig I did discover, was that the I-16 goes into a flat spin super easy...very treacherous little machine...almost impossible to recover it!

I will try your method, Grau, because "brute force" don´t give any result: starting at 10000 mts it restarted only at 2000 mts, but it was done just hiting (like crazy) the key with power at 0%. And about the flat spins, yes, it was a very short machine and prompt to lack of longitudinal stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back