New Armstrong Whitworth Whitley kits 1/72 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Definitely not the FROG kit. :D

Not quite so "typical" short run, with injected transparencies, photo-etch, and resin.
Photo-etch mostly for antennas (I have the Mk VII Coastal Command kit), Resin for interior and turret details, wheel wells, and other small details.

Plastic parts have a mixture of engraved panel lines and raised detail, small sprue attachment points, fuselage interior ribbing detail where it will be seen, small amounts of flash, and ejector pin marks that will need to be removed, although none in ares that will be seen, so far, typical modern short run. There are a few locator pins, mainly on the tail surfaces (vertical fins), none on the fuselage or wing halves. Control surfaces are not separate.

Where I say not so typical, is the plastic molding itself, it seems to have a more mainstream feel to it, the plastic is harder, and the molding is thinner than, say, the plastic in a MPM/Special Hobby kit.

Instructions seem to be generic for either the Mk V or Mk VII kits, with the differences called out. Paint colors are called out in generic names, with no brands, but we know what they are. Color schemes are on the back of the box, three in Coastal Command Slate Grey and Dark sea grey over White, and one in Dark Earth and Dark Green over Black. Upper views are very small and hard to see, might be best to find some other reference for this.

Decals look thin, and glossy, and in reasonable register (the yellow surround on the fuselage insignia looks to be a little off, but I had to really look hard to notice), no stencils are supplied, and the red looks a bit bright, compared to some other RAF decals I have.
I'll try to get some sprue shots posted later, if I can get some worth posting with my camera.:oops: And maybe do some dry fitting, lets see how this puppy's gonna fit!

Good info, and good to see the Whitley back around again.
The information provided by Hannant's (and others), is that the majority of the Fly Models kits are from the original Frog moulds, with some being modified and enhanced. Perhaps this is one of the enhancements?

Here are some shots, sorry for the poor quality, I really need a new camera:(

whitley 7.JPG

Resin parts, wheel bays, seats with belts, turret parts and guns, coolers for inside the intakes, scoops, hollow exhaust stacks, spinners, etc. Some clear resin parts also, astrodome?, and nav lights

DSCF0008.JPG

Fuselage sides, engine cowlings, cockpit floor, vertical fins, prop blades

DSCF0010.JPG

Upper wing halves, horizontal stabs, gear legs and doors, wing stub spars

DSCF0013.JPG

Lower wing quarters, (why the lower wing is in 4 parts I don't know), interior bulkheads and floor, wheels

whitley 1.jpg

Photo etch, antennas mostly, might be better to remake these using stretched sprue, or maybe build the thickness up with white glue?

whitley 6.JPG

Clear parts, look better in the flesh, could stand a dip in Future, small windows will be done with Krystal Klear

whitley 2.jpg

Decals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back