I am repairing the Kelly Gang Halifax for a friend.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
I think I posted that I play golf with the son, he's in his 60's as well, of the bomb aimer aboard the Kelly Gang Hallifax who flew 30+ missions over Germany WWII and a DFC recipient.

I visited Peter today and found his father, Arthur Blakeley had built a scale model of his plane. Sadly this plane is in a little sad state of disrepair, see pictures. I offered to do some repair for him. I don't want to repaint it, this seems to be in good order. I would like to replace some missing bits, the blister on the nose, Arthurs office, the gun bubble on the tail, repair the aelerons, and the guns of the top turret.I want to clean overall, coat with Pledge and replace the decals, except for the nose art. Needs landing gear replaced as well. Crikey.

The kit seems to be an old Revel kit as it is black plastic. A clue would be the rudders and aelerons are movable.If anyone has an old kit around, or know of one, that would be brilliant, I would pay for one. Parts would be excellent although all the parts I need would have been used in a build and not delegated to the spares bin.

If Anyone can help it would be appreciated. This is something I would really like to do for Peter. Cheers, Bill

*I have since found Airfix made a kit with the LV917 SN, but was CN*P coded, 158 sqn. I have also found HX266 was listed as HD*E, but then again NR169 as HD*T Kelly Gang. Nothing very definitive. Very confusing.
Now, has anyone ever seen the Kelly Gang decal before???

Attachments

• main 1a.jpg
    main 1a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 318
  • missing gear 1b.jpg
    missing gear 1b.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 316
  • broken gear 1c.jpg
    broken gear 1c.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 312
  • tail gunner 1d.jpg
    tail gunner 1d.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 312
  • top turret 1e.jpg
    top turret 1e.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 316
  • port decals 1i.jpg
    port decals 1i.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 316
  • strbrd decals 1h.jpg
    strbrd decals 1h.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 324
  • starbrd eng 1g.jpg
    starbrd eng 1g.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 315
  • nose art 1f.jpg
    nose art 1f.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it's the old Airfix kit Bill, originally from the very early 1960s. It's still available, now in light grey or white plastic. I've had a look through my spares box, as I used to have some bits from this kit, but no luck I'm afraid. Might be easier to get the whole kit, or have a look at somewhere like Hannant's for such items as wheels, and rear turret, guns etc., though a complete kit would be a cheaper option.
Can't say I've seen anything of 'Kelly Gang', and the nose art looks hand-painted. I'll have a look through my Halifax books etc, see if I can come up with anything.
EDIT: Just thought, as the model is shown with 'spinning props', one option might be to take off the landing gear, and close the doors, then mount the model in a flying attitude?

Should this be moved to "start to finish Rebuild"?

In light of the above, I could use any parts anyone can come up with from an old Airfix kit. OR if someone finds one in a car boot sale, or a cheap incomplete kit. I specially need the aelerons, these are pretty toasted, they've been melted on the ends. One landing gear needs replacing. I Might be able to scratch repair it, but a new one would be magic. I am going to try and mold a wheel. I need the front bubble as it has been broken. I would like the canopy, this one is pretty discolored. I am trying to remove it to clean inside and out.

So far I have gotten the tail to come off at the glue repair done some time ago. It's been pretty easy as someone used the old LePages paper glue and it comes off even the paint without damage. I have the rudders and elevators moving and fitted pretty well and true. I will have to do some repair of broken tips around the tail plane, but that looks pretty easy so far. I have taken the yellow disks off, will replace with clear and will cast the hub for the missing prop.

Any cleaning product suggestions for dust and dirt? It appears the code letters have been hand painted. As suggested above, it Does look like the nose art has been HAND painted!!!!!!! Couldn't believe it when I looked really close. As I said before, I am not going to repaint, but will blend repaired areas.

I sailor on for Peter and his dad.

Attachments

• stage 2.jpg
    stage 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
G'day Bill, been doing some looking for you and have come up with the following pic from the Australian War Memorial site. As far as serial numbers go, Blakeley as part of the Kelly crew, flew in several differant Halifaxes. Some of the serials I've come up with are -
MX401. MZ307. MZ294. MZ945. NR238. NR976. NR152 all MkIII's. (This was only after a quick search, so possibly more).
The date in the AWM caption shows March 1945, in which NR152 seems to have been flown the most. So far I've had no luck matching serial numbers with aircraft ID letters. The "HD" code and black/yellow strips are correct for 466 sqn RAAF.

Attachments

• UK2630.jpg
    UK2630.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 275
Good work Andy ! Now that I've seen a pic of the real nose art, it's ringing bells. haven't found anything yet, but I'll keep looking.
Bill, I know it's an expense, but probably the cheapest way to obtain the parts (if no one else has them) is to get another kit, and canibalise it. It should be around the £15 mark in the UK, and I'll see if I can find a cheaper one.

haven't found anything yet on 'your' bird Bill, but I have found an Airfix Halifax kit for £9.99, which is approx $Aus 15.50. It's at King kit, and estimated shipping to Oz is around the same cost, so total around $Aus 30.

haven't found anything yet on 'your' bird Bill, but I have found an Airfix Halifax kit for £9.99, which is approx $Aus 15.50. It's at King kit, and estimated shipping to Oz is around the same cost, so total around $Aus 30.

Looks like finding spares is not gonna happen. I appreciate all the members who have looked in and hope they follow my efforts.

This would be great if this kit could be got and shipped. Let me know how I can pull this off!!!!!!!!! I can transfer funds thru PayPal before shipping if it's something you casn do for me! It's the least expensive of everything I have found. My lovely Annie had given me the go-ahead to get a kit to cannibalize a couple days ago.

G'day Bill, been doing some looking for you... Some of the serials I've come up with are - MX401. MZ307. MZ294. MZ945. NR238. NR976. NR152 all MkIII's. (This was only after a quick search, so possibly more).
The date in the AWM caption shows March 1945, in which NR152 seems to have been flown the most. So far I've had no luck matching serial numbers with aircraft ID letters. The "HD" code and black/yellow strips are correct for 466 sqn RAAF.

Thanks for your efforts Cat.... to add to the confusion, I am attaching a pdf of a list of 466 Sqn aircraft, it lists None of these numbers!!!!! I wonder if these numbers were taken from his log books??? Did he fly all his hours with 466?

HD*E is listed as sn HX266! the Kelly Gang is listed as NR169, which was turned into Waltzing Matilda and died in Oz! But Peters son has traced the Kelly Gang to going to Canada and meeting the same fate! It's a mystery because Arthur built the kit, has HD*E Hand painted, with the Gang on the nose????? I will have to make a call to Peter and see if he has his log books..... What a mystery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
G'day Bill, been doing some looking for you... Some of the serials I've come up with are - MX401. MZ307. MZ294. MZ945. NR238. NR976. NR152 all MkIII's. (This was only after a quick search, so possibly more).
Thanks for your efforts Cat.... to add to the confusion, I am attaching a pdf of a list of 466 Sqn aircraft, it lists None of these numbers!!!!! I wonder if these numbers were taken from his log books??? Did he fly all his hours with 466?

HD*E is listed as sn HX266! the Kelly Gang is listed as NR169, which was turned into Waltzing Matilda and died in Oz! But Peters son has traced the Kelly Gang to going to Canada and meeting the same fate! It's a mystery because Arthur built the kit, has HD*E Hand painted, with the Gang on the nose????? And, no LV*917 in 466 Sqn. I will have to make a call to Peter and see if he has his log books..... What a mystery!

Attachments

• SN list Halifax.jpg
    SN list Halifax.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 270
  • ADF Serials - RAAF Handley ...pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Bill, if you want that kit I mentioned, it would be quicker and easier to order it direct from King Kit. Just go to their web-site and follow the ordering instructions. I think they might have 'Pay Pal', and certainly accept the usual cards. You could e-mail them for an estimate for shipping or I can give them a call for you and see if he can give me an idea. Let me know what you want to do, and I can 'phone them tomorrow (Friday) if needed.

One last question, about the Airfix kit. Are they All the same? Seems to be different box art, but just different art of the same plane? I need to get a kit for bashing to restore various pieces, as I have mentioned. But it's a dilemma as to which to get. Any ideas which based on the pictures posted?

The kit parts are the same as first released in the 1960s, with only the box art and the decals being changed over the years. It was originally released in black plastic, but is now, AFAIK, produced in a more user-friendly light grey plastic.
It's just a thought, but if you get the kit, it might be worthwile building the whole thing, as 'Kelly's Gang', and also doing rudimentary repairs to the existing model.
If you need good references, then visit the web site for The Yorkshire Air Museum. You'll find a really good 'walk around', including a 360 degree view of the interior, of their Halifax MkIII composite, which is about 90% genuine, with Hastings wings and wheels. This is only the second virtually complete Halifax in the world, the other being the MkII recovered from Lake Hockligen in Norway, now on display, only partly restored, in the RAF Museum.

Thanks for coming thru with all that. I've now got better direction for this repair. I've removed the rear turret, it's pretty well tattered, unless I could find bits and pieces to replace it, and the cockpit glass, and the nose glass, I will have to scavenge a complete kit.

Just to add some more info on this model. I Was talking with Peter today and he informed me that one of the crew painted the nose art on the real aircraft. But, he also hand painted the letters And the nose art on this kit that Arthur built. How cool is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more reason to preserve the nose art and code on the kit plane. Yes? I have just purchased the Squadron clear parts for replacement of canopy and turrets. And peter has agreed to putting props on the model rather than the disks. You agree?????

I bought a Used kit on the net, reallllllly cheap, 20.75 included shipping from the US! Seems someone years ago attempted to assemble the kit using sticky tape. The tape was still holding the parts together. Simple removal.Believe it or not the only part missing was the tail wheel, which I salvaged from the built plane, although the stubs holding it in place were broken off so I replaced them with a piece from an old sprue.

In the photo all the silver parts are from the kit I bought and will replace broken pieces. The clear from the kit will replace windscreen and turret glass. Turret guns were all broken, so new pieces to replace them. Replacing the whole of the rear turret, glass, guns, gunner, and base. This is easy to do as I am hacking off the tail.

So, hacking off the tail section forward of the horiz stab will be replaced with the hacked off piece from the kit, just like a body shop would do. The horizontal stab broke off the plane and took part of the tail section with it, so I cannot reattach the old pieces, the hole is visible in the port side. They are pretty well beat up as well. The Elevators I am going to re-use as the paint is ok on them, had to replace pins in the ends tho.

Ailerons were all bent up and deformed, replace. Props were ugly discolored plastic, replace with props, Peter is ok with this. One wheel is missing, will replace both with fresh painted ones. Landing gear struts are toasted on one side, will attempt to replace both sides.

It's a pleasure to do this for Peter, I think he will be happy with the results. May try and build a clear acrylic case for it as well.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• repair 1.JPG
    repair 1.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 228

Users who are viewing this thread

Back