Unternehmen Luftbrücke (Operation Air Bridge), WW2Aircraft.net Group Build....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK fellas, after lengthy discussions, our Group Build is about to get underway.... Please use this thread for any and all discussions concerning this build off... All members that have previously posted what their entries will be, please re-post them here....

My choice for this Group Build is the Haegawa 1/32nd Fw 190D-9, "Red 1", flown by Heinz Sachsenberg of JG44.... I am in the process of painting and finishing this model....

Check my in-progress build thread here:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/modeling/my-next-endeavour-hasegawa-s-1-32nd-fw-190d-9-a-12977.html

78898.jpg

From the other threads....
Airframes said:

As it's Lucky's idea for the Group Build, and an excellent one too, I reckon it's up to him to decide what can and can't be done. For instance, the number of entries per person, the dates (of the period concerned), whether Reichs Defence Command only or defending the Reich from other countries, eg France and so on.
My suggestions would be:- Up to one entry per scale per 'contestant', from 1/72nd to 1/24th scales. Dates, late 1943 to May 1945; any Luftwaffe aircraft, anywhere, involved in defending against attacking allied aircraft.
I think it would be helpful if those people intending to enter, could post their name, and which category they put themselves in; for instance, beginner, novice, etc. in order that we all know who's who and what's what. Perhaps Wayne can advise on the categories - i.e. what constitutes 'novice' etc?
That way, we know how many entrants there are and, if individuals are able to include the number of entries, we also know what we are looking for.
Just as a small incentive, I've attached a couple of (small) pics of the paintings I've chosen to put up as a 'prize'; the winner of this one can choose which of the two they would like. (I'll post a pic of the original 1960's 'Frog' kit later.)
The chosen print will be made on A4 card, perhaps larger if my local contacts can do so, and the image will be bordered, with the title printed below. The print will be personally signed, and will be accompanied by 'Historical Notes' explaining the scene, and Certificates of Authenticity and valuation. These latter basically explain that no other print has been made in this issue, and the value, if bought, for insurance purposes. I regret that I am unable to frame this, but it will be despatched, F.O.C., in a stout tube.
I would have provided a Luftwaffe subject, but the originals have all been sold!
The prints are; 'Suddenly Alone', a Spitfire Mk1 during the Battle of Britain. This has not been shown, ever, as the original, oils on canvas, is now the property of my youngest daughter.
'The Bluff', Jim Goodson's 4th FG P47 near the Pas de Calais, 1943. Again, this has not been issued as prints, and only one person has a copy, on A4 card. The original, oils on canvas, is in my personal collection.
looking forward to your comments re the entries etc.
Terry.
78809.jpg
78810.jpg

More...
Airframes said:
I think that just about covers everything, Jan. Only thing I would add is, what you pointed out about those building in one scale only, including yourself. In that case, yes, I think as there are 4 major scales, then a total of four models, either one maximum per scale if doing all four scales, or four in one scale, or a combination; for example, 1 in 1/72nd, 2 in 1/48th, 1 in 1/32nd. If the others think that's fair?
As for my entry (possibly entries), I'll abstain from being counted in the votes, I'll just chuck something in for the hell of it!
Now, some pics of the other 'prize'.
This is the original 'Frog' 1/72nd scale kit, circa 1965, which I have had since new! I used to build quite a lot of Frog models, along with Airfix, as they were both predominant in the late 50's and 60's. By today's standards, these kits are very basic, which will be evident when you see the pics, but they were always accurate, and built up into nice replicas. With a bit of work, scratch-building bits, long, long before the days of aftermarket accessories or detailing parts, which weren't even dreamed of then, some very nice models were produced. The original Frog range was vast and, when they folded, or retired, many kits were re-introduced by 'Novo', using the original moulds, I believe in Russia. The quality then was not as good, but generally acceptable, considering how worn the original tools must have become.
An original Frog kit, still in its box, is now considered a collectors item, and some can command rather hefty prices for small bits of plastic!
For those unfamiliar with the Proctor, it was a British, 4 seat, light communications aircraft, and also used as a 3 seat radio trainer. After the war, many found their way onto the civilian register, where they were a rather neat, and relatively spacious, light aircraft. There are still a number around today, and they used to be fairly common at my local airport when I was in my teens.
This kit will go to the model/modeller who the other entrants deem has produced the best model for his category, regardless of scale, out of all categories. Hopefully, this will give everyone a chance!
The 'print' I think should go to the person who has produced the best model overall. How that's going to be judged, is open to suggestions. I don't mind throwing in my two pen'orth, as I'm not 'competing', but it would be better if at least two others would vote also. Perhaps a non-competing mod/admin could be one?

78820.jpg

More...
Wayne Little said:
As I said earlier I would rather judge than compete...I may throw something in just to contribute to the build....

It would seem that for the most part, from the posts so far, that we have beginner/novice and Intermediate classes of modellers putting their hands up, sound about right?

So how do YOU fit?.....keeping the description simple.....

Category/Class 1 : Experienced Modeller with very good skills.
Category/Class 2 : General Medium level modeller with reasonable skills and good grasp on the basics.
Category/Class 3 : Beginner/Novice Minimal experience and learning the ropes.

More...
Matt308 said:
Can I suggest that to keep the intimidation factor to a minimum for the Class 3 participants that we just keep the build requirements to:

1) Beginning and ending dates for completion.

2) Scale 1/72nd to 1/24th

3) Any German Reich Defense airplane made Out Of Box (OOB). No scratch built parts or modifications other than directly contained in the OOB instruction sheet.

4) Judging shall not be made based upon accuracy of OOB decals/marking, but rather on modeling skill of the kit in question.

My fear is the technical accuracy discussions may steer many interested beginner modelers away (e.g., pages and pages of discussion on proper JG markings, colors, and times can become quite complex). They can learn from the upper Class 2 and Class 1 discussions. Modeling is intimidating enough for a beginner just learning the colors, build and painting techniques.

Just my thoughts, gents.

Category 2; Intermediate
Me 410 B-1/U2/R4
Pro Modeler/Revell-Monogram.
1/48 scale
Major Eduard Tratt of II./ZG 26
Time Period: February 1944
New-out of box

Attachments

• reich06.jpg
    reich06.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 162
Njaco

a personal comment if I may, do not trust the box art for Eduards Crate. am wondering if the yellow dutch shoe was present on the engine nacelles and for a fact ZG 26 did not carry the wide white defense band, as that belonged to the Bf 110G-2's of II./ZG 1. ZG 26 wore a narrow white band if any band at all. A wide yellow one was worn by ZG 76 110's and Me 410's.

Thanks for the clarification of the translation Erich. I always take the word as 'Undertake' (Unternehmen') to mean 'To undertake', roughly the equivalent to the British 'Operation' - to undertake (operate/operation) Overlord, for example.
Chris, here's a pic and profile that might help you a bit. The B&W photo is of Me410B-2/U2, W.Nr. 710340, thought to be from ZG26, summer 1944. Note fuselage band. I have somewhere a photo showing the white clog on an engine cowling, and one without the clog. Looks like not all aircraft wore the badge. Hope this helps.
Jan, glad you suggested this scheme, it's generated a lot of interest and enthusiasm, well done!
Und so, loss Unternehemen Flugbrucke! (sorry, can't get umlauts on this system!)
Terry.

Attachments

• Njaco.jpg
    Njaco.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Njaco 001.jpg
    Njaco 001.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 127
Terry it is actually an A-1/U2 not a B series

and closer examination the B-1's and B-2's of II./ZG 26 DID have a wide white band. II./ZG 26 symbol was a wooden shoe usually yellow. I./ZG 26 symbol was a yellow jacket. for both Gruppes the symbol was not always worn. Also your profile is incorrect as II./ZG 26 no longer existed after July 1944 so the Me 410 could not be from the autumn 1944 time period. the unit became the cadre for single engine fighter unit ............ oh yee haw, formed the basis for the JG 6 unit. most likely the profile should read autumn 1943.

Erich and Terry, thanks for the pics and updates. I agree its a little hazy about ZG 26 markings. One source I found said that the white band was retained after getting the machines from ZG 1 but I'm assuming those would be Me 410As not the Bs that they receved in Feb. The Gruppe emblem I'm up in the air as I have almost no reference pics or books about ZG 26 except on the net which I find can be trying.

I think all in all, unless I find something definative, I'm going to go with the generally accepted scheme.

And maybe this post should be moved to a more appropriate thread instead of this one - maybe one of the first ones about the build.

oops! Just noticed the other threads are closed. :(

throw the wide band on it, forget the wooden shoe in my thoughts, use the 3U + ?? marking and not the colored number as that was usually for ZG 76 crates, in fact I am trying to find any ZG 26 machines using numerals and the second gruppe bar. ZG 76: II. gruppe used the numerals that is fact.

Thanks Erich. That profile is from a rather old publication, examaination of which has revealed a few inaccuracies here and there. The 'winged clog' badge I have seen photos of, and decals, in white. As I understand it, the badge originated from the unit's early base postings in Holland. However, you are right, evidence of the badge appearing on '410's is rare, whatever the colour. I'll try to find some more pics, as I'm sure I've got some somewhere; I must get a better filing system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back