Bear Attack - I think we need a bigger plane... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
Bear attack 2009

Apparently a bear attacked his plane while parked in a remote field in Alaska. He had not cleaned out the inside after a long fishing trip and the bear smelled it.

Typical Alaska wild frontierism, he had 2 new tires, 3 cases of Duct Tape and several rolls of cellophane delivered. Then went about repairing the plane so he could fly it home.

Gutsy, to say the least.

And a good thing he wasn't inside. Now you know why every bush pilot in Alaska carries a high powered rifle.

Attachments

• pic09832.jpg
    pic09832.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 347
  • pic23757.jpg
    pic23757.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 369
  • pic27088.jpg
    pic27088.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 371
  • pic28617.jpg
    pic28617.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 350
  • pic30932.jpg
    pic30932.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 312
  • pic31426.jpg
    pic31426.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 364
Certainly made a bare Cub out of that aircraft! Great pics matt, thanks. Another reason why I think I'll give Alaska a miss !

Of course there was a note left on the cockpit seat which was initially overlooked by the hapless pilot. It read:

There is nowhere I won't find you. Pay your alimony.

Carrying a firearm is required by State Law in Alaska, most guys carry some sort of pistol, I for the most part a 22 RF light and well plenty of small game around in a survival situation. 12 ga Shotguns are some what popular too. As for the airplane in question, you do what you have to do. Well its not going to be cheap to re fabric an airplane, Nice PA-12 thou. You would be surprised to know what those tundra tires cost. About 1500 to 2500 a piece. Never mind what it cost to fly that stuff to him. Airplanes a real money pits. And in Alaska, it will cost you four or five times the money out in the bush than in town. Well as long as nobody got hurt, the salmon he caught is was very expensive. In airplanes like that, weight becomes a real factor, You have to keep what the state says you have to carry with regard to survival, as light as possible. So light guns and pistols are what you see a lot, as for that bear, well bear is just doing what bears do. Try having one sniffing around your tent some time.

A bear is certainly something a person should avoid, though here in Northern California, they are smaller than the bears in Alaska.

That's not to say that a full-grown male Blackbear won't mess you up if it gets ahold of you. They do considerable damage to tourist's cars, who don't learn to secure thier snacks and drinks (or clean the car out) when they park thier vehicle at a campsite or trailhead.

I can't believe those Tundra Tires cost that much money though...man, that must have been a bummer!

Common place in Alaska. A ballistic plastic gun case to free up space for cabin room.

Er... a Barrett .50 full auto wolf strafing instrument. One or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back