F-14 retires article - idiot newspapers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

R988

Senior Airman
Oct 25, 2005
Londonium
Top Gun's Tomcat retired
By David Nason
February 20, 2006

AN era of aviation history has drawn to a close with the US-made F-14 Tomcat fighter plane - the one flown into the danger zone by Tom Cruise in the film Top Gun - being withdrawn from active service.
The Tomcat is going into mothballs because advances in military technology have made its greatest attribute - the ability to manoeuvre at high speeds and in close combat situations - redundant.

Launch ... a Tomcat climbs on afterburners as it takes off from the deck of an aircraft carrier / file

Fighter planes no longer need such abilities because they don't dogfight any more. Instead, pilots shoot at each other with target-seeking rockets, sometimes from 20km away.

The Tomcats were officially retired from service last week, replaced by FA-18 Super Hornets that are cheaper to maintain, easier to operate from aircraft carriers and able to carry more bombs.

The F-14 requires nearly 50 maintenance hours for every flight hour compared to five to 10 hours maintenance for the FA-18.

Advertisement:

The F-14 entered operational service in 1974 when two squadrons were assigned to the USS Enterprise, replacing F-4 Phantom fighters that were eventually phased out in 1986.

The US Defence Department said the last Tomcat combat mission was a bombing raid in Iraq led by Captain William Sizemore, who said the Tomcat was one of the best planes ever built. "It's just a beautiful airplane," he said. "It's powerful. It has presence and it just looks like the ultimate fighter."

In the 1986 movie Top Gun, Cruise played Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a brilliant but rebellious trainee pilot at the US Navy's elite flight school in Miramar, California.

The Tomcat was designed in the Cold War era to be the world's best fighter-interceptor. Its primary task was to defend aircraft carriers against cruise missile-armed Soviet aircraft.

A supersonic, twin-engine, two-seat fighter, the Tomcat is capable of attacking and destroying enemy aircraft at night and in all weather.

The upgraded F-14A version was equipped with General Electric F-110 engines that made it the fastest close-combat fighter plane in history.

But following the loss of three aircraft over four weeks in 1996, the US Navy restricted Tomcats from flying high speeds at low altitude and prohibited afterburner use except for operational emergencies.

Tomcats provided air cover for the joint strike on Libyan terrorist targets in 1986, downing six Soviet-made MIG fighters in two dogfights.

They also flew 781 combat missions during Operation Desert Storm in Iraq in 1991.

In 1995, as part of Operation Deliberate Force in Bosnia, Tomcats were nicknamed "Bombcats" for delivering laser-guided smart bombs to UN targets.

In the mid-1970s the US sold 79 to Iran before that country's 1979 Islamic revolution.

Look at this stupid article from www.news.com.au, how can they make so many stupid mistakes, it's got as many fundamental mistakes and poorly written copy as the movie Topgun.

It would take 5mins of research on the net to check those facts, yet even that seems beyond the airheads masquerading as journalists these days.

Anyone else encountered such utter tosh being served as facts? I was sitting in front of a couple of prize idiots on a flight from Melbourne to Vienna on a B777 in December and these dimwits behind were suprised that such a 'small' plane could make it so far, they see 2 engines and think small, this was a 777 for god sakes, they are massive, it's dwarfing the 737 next to it.

But it gets better, they then started talking about the new A380, 'what?', one of them says, 'the new Boeing?'. 'Yeah, it's called the Airbus isn't it?' says the other one. :rolleyes:

(yes I know I'm a pedant, just had to get it off my chest to someone who actually knows what I'm talking about :twisted: )

"Fighter planes no longer need such abilities because they don't dogfight any more. Instead, pilots shoot at each other with target-seeking rockets, sometimes from 20km away."

:lol:

Good god, perhaps the (supposed) journalists grandfather wrote the same thing back in the 50's.

syscom3 said:
"Fighter planes no longer need such abilities because they don't dogfight any more. Instead, pilots shoot at each other with target-seeking rockets, sometimes from 20km away."

:lol:

Good god, perhaps the (supposed) journalists grandfather wrote the same thing back in the 50's.
My thoughts exactly!!!! ;)

the lancaster kicks ass said:
But it gets better, they then started talking about the new A380, 'what?', one of them says, 'the new Boeing?'. 'Yeah, it's called the Airbus isn't it?' says the other one

holy crap :lol:
:lol: Dumbasses...

FLYBOYJ said:
That's why the best place for reporters when they are around jets are IN THE AIR INTAKE!!!

Agreed Joe.

thought this was a good place for a road test.........

Attachments

• x1pc_jqddvowrl5fcz0uexswibjs_actun_jueaobms48e2fln5eqr85pxaej5a7dlxx_nusbql6kjbuov2y9ziz8t1ghss6cqwp
    x1pc_jqddvowrl5fcz0uexswibjs_actun_jueaobms48e2fln5eqr85pxaej5a7dlxx_nusbql6kjbuov2y9ziz8t1ghss6cqwp
    27.3 KB · Views: 203
It is sad that the F-14 are being phased out, it is a lovely bird and I would prfer it over the Hornet.

I have never in my whole live seen such idiots claming that they are jurnolust and then wrigt such bullshit. Realy I have never seen something like this.

Henk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back