Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

How good is the Israeli military?

Modern Discuss How good is the Israeli military? in the Other Eras forums; I, like probably most people, have always thought that the quality of the Israeli military is quite superb, pound for ...

Post Thanks / Like

How good is the Israeli military?

I, like probably most people, have always thought that the quality of the Israeli military is quite superb, pound for pound maybe even better than the U.S.

I was talking to two officers, one a U.S. Marine and the other, a Navy SEAL, who have been active in the Mid East and both of them said that the Israeli forces are not really any better than those of any of the Western European countries and that they just seem to be superior because they have been repeatedly tested against the inept, incompetent and impotent forces of the Arab states.

Basically, these guys were saying that it isn't that the Israelis are so good but that their opponents are so lousy.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really cannot speak from experience but have always believed that their Airforce and armoured forces are as good as anyone's, with at times a lack of discipline being an Achilles Heal that can strike at any time.
    However their infantry I think are behind the best.

This tends to be bourne out by the latest developments.

Der Crew Chief DerAdlerIstGelandet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Country II
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well these two US military personal said that the Israeli military was not better than any Western European militaries. Might I add that there are many fine militaries in Western Europe.

England and Germany have two of the best trained militaries in the world and are supplied by some of the finest military equipment there is out there.

The training is excellent, I can tell you that. Most US units statoined over here use German training facilities with German instructors such as the German Mountain Warfare School (reported to be the best of its kind) and what not.

England and Germany are equipped with some of the most state of the art aircraft ie. Typhoon, Tiger, etc., 2 of the worlds best tanks in the Challenger and the Leopard II's.

The G-36 is a great weapon and Germany is supplied with US artillary pieces and AA weapons.

I am not up to date on the British infantry weapons.

Either way England and Germany have 2 of the finest militaries in the world, so if they are comparing the Israeli military to western europes then it has to be good.

The one advantage the Israeli military has is this: They are combat seasoned because they practically live in combat since the 1960s.

fly boy:"isnt that the first jet bomber becasue i have flown one in a flight sim before and i know how it handles"

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    The British military is currently equipped with the Lee Enfield SA-80 Mk.II which is poor. But we're are ordering , or have ordered, the G-36. The British Army is one of the best armies in the world. Our Royal Air Force and Royal Navy have some of the best pilots in the world. While our Royal Marines and RAF Regiment are world known as being one of, if not, the best standard infantry combat units.

Britain has also known counter-insurgency warfare since 1921 when Northern Ireland was created. The major decades were the 60s and 70s. We're not novices at war, or counter-insurgency. The British forces train in every terrain, and have fought in every terrain.

Just look at how precise we march! That's discipline.
    "When you go home tomorrow, don't expect anyone to know what you have been through. Even if they did know, most people probably wouldn't care anyway. Some of you may get the medals you deserve, many more of you will not. But remember this, all of you are now members of the front-line club, and that is the most exclusive club in the world." - Lt. Col. Matthew Maer CO 1st Battalion, the Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment. Camp Abu Naji, Oct. 2004

To those in that club.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are an average military with an abundance of equipment one thing that they have an advantage on is the short supply lines they have to maintain .The cupboard is getting bare and already the US is resupplying the IDF I wonder who is paying for that
    http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/...A25%3A12%3A543

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    That article is a joke. The U.S and U.K have an agreement that the US bases are practically US soil, and as said in the article, the British government doesn't need to know what's going through there. It's not Britain's fault if the U.S is supplying Israel.
    "When you go home tomorrow, don't expect anyone to know what you have been through. Even if they did know, most people probably wouldn't care anyway. Some of you may get the medals you deserve, many more of you will not. But remember this, all of you are now members of the front-line club, and that is the most exclusive club in the world." - Lt. Col. Matthew Maer CO 1st Battalion, the Princess of Wale's Royal Regiment. Camp Abu Naji, Oct. 2004

To those in that club.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    It wasn't a comment on the use of UK airports or such it was simply an an article to indicate that the resupply was ongoing they are probably using Canadian airspace and aerodromes as well to resupply the IDF

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, don't mistake my rant. It wasn't directed at you. I know why you posted it. I was just saying the people in the article are dumb.

To those in that club.

Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in a country which uses F-5s as the main fighter, with very few missiles for the whole air force and an army hardened with counter-inurgency

i don't know, but their AF way better than ours

"The German Luftwaffe always fought without any reserves. This is also the reason why we have pilots with extremely high numbers of victories."
    - General der Jagdflieger Adolf Galland"

Der Crew Chief DerAdlerIstGelandet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Country II
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by plan_D
    That article is a joke. The U.S and U.K have an agreement that the US bases are practically US soil, and as said in the article, the British government doesn't need to know what's going through there. It's not Britain's fault if the U.S is supplying Israel.
    Same as the US bases here in Germany.

fly boy:"isnt that the first jet bomber becasue i have flown one in a flight sim before and i know how it handles"

Post Thanks / Like
    The IDF has never been beaten in combat since the inception of the country in 1948. No combined force even though it outnumbered the Israelis many times over in manpower, weapons and equipment has done jack against them. In the air their competition is simply a sad joke.

Proves one thing-arabs can't fight.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAdlerIstGelandet
    The G-36 is a great weapon and Germany is supplied with US artillary pieces and AA weapons.
    Agreed. I wish the U.S. Army and Marines would start using the G-36.

Quote Originally Posted by DerAlderIstGelandet
    The one advantage the Israeli military has is this: They are combat seasoned because they practically live in combat since the 1960s.
    Experiance is always the great weapon in a soldier. Alot of those guys fighting now saw combat in the 1990's along with their leaders.

Its better to have an
    Army of deer being led by a lion,
    rather an Army of Lions being led by a deer

Post Thanks / Like
    Our special forces are now being issued the new SCAR (SOF Combat Assault Rifle).

This is a much better gun than the G-36. The accuracy is rep0orted to be 1 MOA or better which is amazing for most any rifle let alone a combat rifle.

Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle
    Last edited by Jank; 08-01-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jank
    Our special forces are now being issued the new SCAR (SOF Combat Assault Rifle).

This is a much better gun than the G-36. The accuracy is rep0orted to be 1 MOA or better which is amazing for most any rifle let alone a combat rifle.

Special Operations Combat Assault Rifle
    Good god! That is one awesome Assault Rifle!!!

Its better to have an
    Army of deer being led by a lion,
    rather an Army of Lions being led by a deer

Post Thanks / Like
    Good article. Does anyone know just how big a 500m point target is or a 600m area target?

Just trying to get an understanding as to what we are talking about.

PS don't underestimate the latest version of the SA80. I work both a TA Para Captain and TA infantry Major. Both are convinced that they wouldn't have any any other weapon and both have served in Iraq, with the Para also having done a stint in Afganistan.
    They both admit the earlier versions were close to useless.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast