Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type 88 (south korea)

• T-72 (Russia)

• Arjun Mk 1 (India)

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, that's what I've read. The Stryker MGS (Mobile Gun System). Basically an APC with a tank gun mounted on top. Knowing us, we'll think of it as a main battle tank and end up getting a lot of our own boys killed with it. :rolleyes:
I would hope not.

If the Army were to replace the tanks with actual tanks, I'm thinking they'd upgrade to Leopard 2's. A lot of our current Army equipment is of European design, not only American by any means.

true, but the americans charge i little bit less for their stuff, If I were the defence minister I would have our own built though, the current C2 and the Abrams ect are way to big and that is a problem when ever your taking a city, I mean imagine the Allies trying to take Arnhem with the Abrams, they would have a hell of a time trying to get through those narrow alleys and road.

Nonskimmer said:
Yeah, that's what I've read. The Stryker MGS (Mobile Gun System). Basically an APC with a tank gun mounted on top. Knowing us, we'll think of it as a main battle tank and end up getting a lot of our own boys killed with it. :rolleyes:
I would hope not.

I hope your wrong on that point as well Skimm you must have one of the most eclectic armed forces in the world I know everyone buys in from other country's but the Canadian government seems to go at it with gusto.

syscom3 said:
Untill the Leopards are tested under actuall battle conditions, they must take a distant 4th seat behind the Abrams, Challanger and Merkava.

And you great expertise of tanks confirms that.

102 there are a number of tanks and other armoured viehicles out there which would fit your criteria. I would agree that the purchase of a licence to build your own would be worthwhile to save the development cost which would be significant.

No were not, this is just another tree hugging liberal attemp to pussify our military , we do have tanks, not enough of them, they are obsolete, however mechanically they work just fine,They are updated with modern technology so we can use them efficiently, but the Liberals think that Canada should do away with our army and leave our National Security responsibilitys to the Americans, which is not fair to me and NS and the canadian people, or the Americans, and to do away with our force of MBT's is very symbolic, Now the Mobile gun systems NS is right we will probably call them our MBT's, it will be a death trap for the crew as we will be fitting an overweight gun (without any stableizer) to the top of a Stryker APC, which we have had maintence problems with already.

NS The Conservatives have to win or we are SCREWED!

Here, here. But the years of Liberal government have already taken a heavy toll on DND. It would take years to undo all of the damage they've caused us already, and a Conservative government would need to be hard-line and willing and able to sway the views of the Canadian people back in favour of a military. I mean a real military, not this...this...farce that we've become. :rolleyes:
In order for that to work, they'd need to be in office for quite a long time. Unfortunately, I can't foresee that being the case. We're just too damn fickle.

I'd love to see us at least become effective again. I really would.

Never said that it has not fought in one. That does not make it a bad tank. It is a very good tank as a matter of fact and ranks up there with the Abrams. The Abrams still is the best tank in the world though.

2 x Dutch Leopard 1's were besieged in Bosnia / Serbia in the height of the fighting and destroyed I think it was 6 T55/T62. May not sound much but was good going considering that they were surrounded and under UN rules had to let the Serbs shoot first. I understand that the person in charge sucked them into firing at anoher target which gave him the chance.

Certainly, the only tank that may gain an edge is the 'Black Eagle' but that's not even out yet. It's something to look forward to in the future. The Leopard II, Challenger 2, M1A2 Abrams and Merkava are all fighting on an equal footing, all have advantages and disadvantages over the others. Unfortunately for the Leopard II it doesn't have combat experience - maybe Germany should send some to Iraq for testing? :laughing6:

Iran had a lot of Chieftains. A generation earlier but I suggest no pushover for any tank.
That said I doubt if they have many or indeed if they have any left after the Iran / Iraq war.

I wish them luck. The chieftain wasn't the most reliable tank in the world and after been captured, left in a boneyard for a few years survived a few sandstorms along the way. I pity anyone trying to make them runners again.
Old British Army of the 70's joke was that the Chieftain had the best armour, the biggest gun, most modern fire control system and was the best tank in the world to go to war in.
It would break down before you got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back