Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type 88 (south korea)

• T-72 (Russia)

• Arjun Mk 1 (India)

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ive heard that too, about the field fitting of reactive armor, which is really very uselful, makes the tank lighter for transport when the reactive armor isnt fitted. I vited for the M1A2. I love that tank, it looks menacing in itself, modern looking too. I like the smoothbore gun, and the kinetic rounds. It has good protection and imaging, can fire on the move. With the 120mm gun it has plenty of firepower and range. Though recently ive heard much about how the battletanks days are very limited due to aircraft missile advancements, and that the armoured car will soon be the only thing left, more for recon and urban patrols. While i dont think this, any time soon to be feasible, what are everyone elses thoughts?

Whilst that could be the way I have doubts. Reactive armour doesn't help much against kinetic shells. Using a lighter Stryker type vehicle makes you more vulnerable to the tank and its large cannon.

What do you think of this monster? :shock:

Attachments

• image002_123.jpg
    image002_123.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 297
what the hell is it??

and tanks are starting to loose their position as the most dangerous thing on the battlefeild to aircraft, and whilst i think they will keep many tanks for cirtain roles, but the lighter recon vehicles like the Scimitar will play an ever more important role, yes they're not as well armoured but remember they're deep penitration recon vehicles, they're not supposed to be spotted in the first place, and if they are their first tactic is to drive outta there, fast! they're not designed to go up against a heavy tank...........

You may well be right there Lanc.
I think mobility is important in the modern theater but heavy Armour is becoming obsolete as man pack and helicopter weapons have become more capable of eliminating it. The lack of vision is starting to out weigh the protection afforded. The Helicopter , Satellite and Drones are beginning to take over the roles of recon and support and I think the day of the pilot less or self-guiding delivery system is not far off. The drone that can attack various targets with intelligent weapons is already on test. Using a copper disk that can be deformed into different shapes depending on the intended target from shrapnel for soft/personnel targets to hypersonic projectile to penetrate heavy Armour vertically.
It may not come to fruition for some time but a more remote initial contact with the ground troops advancing behind this screen of technology I think is not that far away.

I think they probably lost their position as most dangerous thing on the battlefield to aircraft a long time ago in my opinion...

The main problem with drones, helicopters and planes is that they cannot take or hold ground. At the end of the day the PBI have to go in and they need support of armoured veihicles.
I think that what everyone has said makes a lot of sense but a balance has to be found and I don't think that we are there yet.
One example is the tendency to reduce the number of infantry and increase their firepower. However when you get into a house to house situation those extra numbers count. Twenty men with AK47's have at least as good a chance as a western eight man squad with the latest equipment.
With Armour its the same. The tank on the ground can help the men on the ground take that ground. I doubt that tanks will get any bigger but the age old search for the balance between protection, firepower and agility will continue.

Against modern ground equipment the fast, but lightly armoured, vehicles are easy meat for the tank. British exercises show it time and time again. I saw one recently on TV in Canada where they had two opposing British armoured brigades, one sent it's lightly armoured vehicles in a charge and the Challenger 2s of the other team just blasted them with little problem to themselves...but they weren't really Challenger 2s in the simulation - the HQ had brought them down to the power of T-72s!

I totally agree. If my opponents were equipped with lighter armour I would be tempted to get my Centurions out of storage, add reactive armour to protect me against missiles and guns with similar warheads.
The 105 is more than good enough to take on lighter armour.

but remember the role of these light tanks is primarily recon/policing duties, if they're jumped on a recon their fist aim is to get out of their, fast, as they know they stand little chance against anything with a big gun, they're not designed of open combat, and in the policing duties they're not likely to come up against a tank, if they do then someone in an armoured brigade hasn't done their job properly :lol:

True, but that's exactly why the tank can never be replaced by just light vehicles. Tanks will still enter all areas except those completely impassable to them.

All I can say is that the Leopard 2A5-6 has been found to be the best tank in the world today by nearly every country who's tested it against others. Thats also namely the reason why Sweeden picked the Leo 2A5, as it proved superior both in efficiency and cost to the M1A2 Abrams and French Leclerc.

Also according to Armor Magazine the top tank in the world today is the Leopard 2A6.

If you ask me, its either the Challenger 2 or the Leopard 2A6. (they're very close)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back