Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Type 88 (south korea)

• T-72 (Russia)

• Arjun Mk 1 (India)

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can definitely also agree with that.

One thing I am curious about, the Abrams tank uses depleted Uranium armour, isnt the DU just plain lead? if not how the hell are the makers able to make the stuff non radioactive?

Here you go:

Q. What is depleted uranium?

A. Depleted uranium is what is left over when most of the highly radioactive types (isotopes) of uranium are removed for use as nuclear fuel or nuclear weapons. The depleted uranium used in armor-piercing munitions and in enhanced armor protection for some Abrams tanks is also used in civilian industry, primarily for stabilizers in airplanes and boats.
http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/faq_17apr.htm

Natural uranium contains nominally 0.7110% U-235 (+/- 0.1% variation) and 99.28305% U-238 (and 0.0054% U-234), while depleted uranium contains only 0.2 to 0.4 weight-percent U-235. The U-235 is concentrated into enriched uranium through the process of isotope separation for use in nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons.

The enrichment process does not create U-235 but merely separates the different isotopes of uranium. Therefore the process leaves large amounts of depleted uranium as a waste product. For example producing 1 kg of 5% enriched uranium requires 11.8 kg of natural uranium, leaving about 10.8 kg of depleted uranium with 0.3% U-235.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

Glider said:
PS the Challenger wasn't part of the Swedish trials as the government would release one to take part. Dumb logic or what.

Yes, thats right. And yeah, a good opportunity was lost there for Vickers Defence Systems.

However Greece had trials with all three tanks in May 2000. And in March 2002, Greece decided to procure the Leopard 2A6 (to be designated the Leopard 2A6 GR), selecting the German tank over five competitors from the United States and Europe.

Just another thing to note, is that Germany is selling the Leopards to other European nations at record low prices. I am going to have to dig up this artical but I remember Poland being one of the buyers. It angered many Germans over here because of the fact that they were not even being sold at half the price that they could have been sold for. It was all over the German news on TV and in the papers.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Just another thing to note, is that Germany is selling the Leopards to other European nations at record low prices. I am going to have to dig up this artical but I remember Poland being one of the buyers. It angered many Germans over here because of the fact that they were not even being sold at half the price that they could have been sold for. It was all over the German news on TV and in the papers.

I remember something about that myself, it was in January 2002.

------------------------------------------

Hussars,

The reason the U.S. deploy DU projectiles instead of KE projectiles is rather simple, since Uranium is 2.5 times denser than steel the DU projectiles can achieve the same penetration performance in the L/44 gun as a KE projectiles can in the L/55 gun.

And since the U.S. is now considering to adopt the Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 gun, the Abrams will probably soon have the deadliest punch in the world for a MBT.

German tanks are back in Poland? Oh no, last time that happened World War II started. :laughing6:

plan_D said:
German tanks are back in Poland? Oh no, last time that happened World War II started. :laughing6:

Even worse yet, Germany is led by a woman this time.... Soon all men will be exterminated in a new Holocaust ! :shock: ;)

Soren said:
plan_D said:

Even worse yet, Germany is led by a woman this time.... Soon all men will be exterminated in a new Holocaust ! :shock: ;)

Note to self: "Wait for Germany to get a new Chancelor before going there..." :shock:

:lol:

He wouldn't want a Ross either. ;)
A decent enough rifle for militia purposes, but often tended to fail under the rigours of rapid, continuous firing. It seized up after a while. Not the best for the front.

Go with the Lee Enfield. :toothy5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back