Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newest USAF Trainer - DG TG-16

Modern Discuss Newest USAF Trainer - DG TG-16 in the Other Eras forums; If any of you meatballs haven't noticed, my time on here has been scarce. That's because I have spent some ...

IP/Mech THE GREAT GAZOO FLYBOYJ's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Newest USAF Trainer - DG TG-16

If any of you meatballs haven't noticed, my time on here has been scarce. That's because I have spent some time out at Edwards AFB working on the induction of the USAF newest trainer - the TG-16A.

You might have thought I was talking about an airplane - FOOLED YA! We're talking gliders for the USAFA!

New aircraft soar into Academy

What you have is the "military" version of the DG-1000S (DG-1001) Sport.

Prior to going to EDW, I spent time in Washington state attending a maintenance FAM course on the new bird. Pretty thing, going to be a lot easier to maintain than the current Blaniks providing they don't get banged up too badly training the USAF's future pilots to soar!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newest USAF Trainer - DG TG-16-image_183.jpg   Newest USAF Trainer - DG TG-16-image_189.jpg  

Der Crew Chief DerAdlerIstGelandet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Country II
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. How was she to fly?

fly boy:"isnt that the first jet bomber becasue i have flown one in a flight sim before and i know how it handles"

Senior Member Aaron Brooks Wolters's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool Joe! You don't think of gliders as being a military device. I have often heard military fliers say they were needed in training for it would better teach on how to fly smoother and better one's flying skills.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get to fly in her, but I did send up two of our mechanics. They loved it and so far all of the USAFA pilots who are checked out on it love it as well. It might be a good aerobatic ship that can also be used as a primary trainer altough I'm hearing the Blaniks are a little easier to fly.

While at EDW I was involved in the assembly and disassenbly of ship 1 and got a good maintenance schooling on the aircraft. I'm looking forward to seeing this ship operate at the Academy for a very long time!
    Last edited by FLYBOYJ; 07-18-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is so cool!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good trainer, Joe. I prefer something with an engine, but I know why they use these.

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, just ask this guy...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here I am out at Edwards, and You didnt even care to let me know lol. Glad you had fun out here. Did you see any of our F-35's fly while out here.

By the way, God does have a place for all of his creatures. Right next to the potatoes and gravy.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. It is cleared for aerobatics which is always interesting in a glider. The DG 1001 is getting very popular as a trainer and starting to take over from the K21 which had a similar role for many years. One problem with the K21 was that it could be difficult to spin so we used to keep an old K13 (for some reason my favourite) for spinning training. I would be interested to know how well these spin.

They are robust machines and for those who don't have much experience in gliders, don't let their apparent fragility fool you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evangilder View Post
    Looks like a good trainer, Joe. I prefer something with an engine.
    Wimp

World Travelling Doctor? Gnomey's Avatar
    Country
    Great Britain
    Country II
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool Joe!

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

"To him the People of the World Largely owe the Freedom and Liberties they Enjoy Today"
    Enscription on Hugh Dowding's (AOC Fighter Command 1936-40) statue in London

My Photo Collections on Flickr

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glider View Post
    Wimp
    LOL Yup. I like to have some horsepower jut in case.

> I Support Doug Gilliss <

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. Leonardo Da Vinci

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry. I have a friend who is more than competent with an air racing licence and Aerobatics Instructor rating, but she never ever went up in a Glider.
    As she put it, she wasn't going anywhere without a throbing seven and a half litres in front of her. You have to like her humour

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beaupower32 View Post
    Here I am out at Edwards, and You didnt even care to let me know lol. Glad you had fun out here. Did you see any of our F-35's fly while out here.
    I know Beau - didn't have the time to wipe my butt we were so busy. Operated out of north base, and yep, saw the F-35s!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glider View Post
    Very nice. It is cleared for aerobatics which is always interesting in a glider. The DG 1001 is getting very popular as a trainer and starting to take over from the K21 which had a similar role for many years. One problem with the K21 was that it could be difficult to spin so we used to keep an old K13 (for some reason my favourite) for spinning training. I would be interested to know how well these spin.

They are robust machines and for those who don't have much experience in gliders, don't let their apparent fragility fool you.
    I was told that the DG 1001 was also a bit difficult to spin as well. I think the flight tests out at EDW are wrapping up and I know some of the testing involved a spin profile that the manufacturer never did or needed to do for certification. I also believe they expanded the demostrated crosswind component.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast