OV-1 Mohawk

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chief

Senior Airman
Jul 12, 2006
could you guys give some information on the the OV-1 Mohawk, I would also like your opinions on it.

My father was flew Reconnaissance Photographer and was assigned to unit in alask during vietnam.
I heard it was a good at the time. I want your opinions.

Note it was his unit that spotted the missles in Russia. At least that's what he told me.

The Mohawk was widely used in Vietnam and was also used by US customs. In Vietnam enlisted men flew as observers in this aircraft. It carried a wide array of electronic and weapons. I read somewhere that a Mohawk shot down a Mig-17 while in Vietnam.

The Mohawks were still used in the 90s as well. I used to be around them all the time in the late 80s and early 90s. At the airfield that my dad flew Hueys out of there was a Military Intel unit that had Mohawks. I got to sit in one one time. I will have to see if I can find the pics somewhere. I dont know where they are at.

Didn't they use them with a side looking radar canoe slung underneath as sort of a poorman's J-STARS aircraft for battlefield management?

Didn't they use them with a side looking radar canoe slung underneath as sort of a poorman's J-STARS aircraft for battlefield management?

They have, it is a SLAR .

AE027.jpg

Paysanft.gif

screen.gif

Argentinean Mohawks

My father said that he loved it. Said it was quite maneuverable and had plenty of power. But, he was uncomfortable, being in the secondary seat with the electronics. They way they had it set up if you had to punch out you would break both your legs.

If I'm not mistaken I think when you punch out of the Mohawk you went right through the canopy.

how do you mean go through the canopy? do you mean it wasn't blown off first and you literally broke the canopy on your way out yourself? surely not?

this's got me thinking, from pulling the cord how long does the ejection proceedure take from an attack helicopter? i know some you can eject from because the rotor blades are blown off but this must take a little longer than ejecting from a conventional aircraft? and does anyone have a video of an ejection from a starfighter, you know, ejecting underneath?

or a Tu-22. Same thing.

FBJ, in the "through the plexiglass" scenario, doesn't the crew reach up and pull handles on each side of their head pulling some sort of protective device over their heads? Seems like I read that somewhere as part of an airplanes ejection sequence.

or a Tu-22. Same thing.

FBJ, in the "through the plexiglass" scenario, doesn't the crew reach up and pull handles on each side of their head pulling some sort of protective device over their heads? Seems like I read that somewhere as part of an airplanes ejection sequence.
I believe so - they pull "the curtain," but found out there was a provision to jettison the canopy.

"The rather bug shaped Mohawk was equipped with large plexiglas overhead panels, which were intended to be jettisioned prior to ejection. In case of failure of the jettison system, or in cases where time did not permit, the seat was designed to penetrate the canopy itself."
Here's a great site...

http://www.ejectionsite.com/

Check this out!

oveject1.gif

and...

http://www.ejectionsite.com/frame_sg.htm

that's an interesting site but really needs a list of aircraft and the seats used in them, last i heard Martin-Baker had a 75% share of the worldwide egression and pilot safety systems market it'd be interesting to know if that's changed in the last few years.............

that's an interesting site but really needs a list of aircraft and the seats used in them, last i heard Martin-Baker had a 75% share of the worldwide egression and pilot safety systems market it'd be interesting to know if that's changed in the last few years.............
On that site, did you go to the "seat gallery?" They have each seat listed by aircraft...

this's got me thinking, from pulling the cord how long does the ejection proceedure take from an attack helicopter? i know some you can eject from because the rotor blades are blown off but this must take a little longer than ejecting from a conventional aircraft? and does anyone have a video of an ejection from a starfighter, you know, ejecting underneath?

As far as I know the only ones who actually deployed a helictoper with ejection seat was the Russians and I am not even sure of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back