Thread: New Czech WWII Movie - TOBRUK!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation New Czech WWII Movie - TOBRUK!!!!

Altogether in WW2, over 50,000,000 people were killed, murdered or executed. 360,000 of them were Czechoslovakians. On the side of Allies, there was 50,000 of Czechoslovakian volunteers fighting for liberation of their home country. 1,800 of these participated on the tough fights in North Africa. On all battlefields, 7,790 of these soldiers died in combat.

The movie Tobruk is in high esteem dediacted to all Czech and Slovak veterans, as well as the home ressistance. But mainly to members of the Czechoslovak infantry regiment 11 - "Eastern", who on the fall of 1941, side to side with their British, Australian, Polish and Southafrican comrades, defended a strategically important harbor against German and Italian units, the last that was controlled by the Allies, in the North of Lybia - TOBRUK.

Tobruk Trailer

You can tell which photograph is original and which one is from the film only by the color...

And I was lucky enough to see the ceremonial preview yesterday night.
    "He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too." - Airplane!

Memory of Nation

Why Did Hitler Want Czechoslovakia

WW2 Was A War That Had To Be Fought!

Children of Hamas

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to try and get a copy of this from my video rental place when its released.

Thanks Pisis!

Post Thanks / Like
    YEP, that movie will run in 2 cinemas here in Zlin in September. Gotta find someone who will take care for my 2 kids and will go there...
    And Red Baron is in their offer as well...

Well, anyone finally showed the heroism of our soldiers which fought in Tobruk.Communists did they job well before 1989 so a share of our soldiers in defending Tobruk was almost 4gotten...thanks for that movie!
    Last edited by seesul; 09-11-2008 at 04:59 AM.

...in memory of my friend Joe Owsianik, a former right waist gunner from B-17G, 42-97159 from 2ndBG 20th Sqdn, who was forced to bail out on Aug. 29th, 1944 over my country. Joe passed away on November 1, 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
    I'll have to try and get a copy of this from my video rental place when its released.

Thanks Pisis!
    Think you´ll have to wait 1-2 years until it will make some money out in cinemas

...in memory of my friend Joe Owsianik, a former right waist gunner from B-17G, 42-97159 from 2ndBG 20th Sqdn, who was forced to bail out on Aug. 29th, 1944 over my country. Joe passed away on November 1, 2010.

World Travelling Doctor? Gnomey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, will try and catch it if I ever see it over here.

"Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

"To him the People of the World Largely owe the Freedom and Liberties they Enjoy Today"
    Enscription on Hugh Dowding's (AOC Fighter Command 1936-40) statue in London

My Photo Collections on Flickr

East Dorset, South of England not Vermont.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's good to be reminded we were seldom as alone as history paints and we like to believe...........
    In total war, no country is an island.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seesul View Post
    YEP, that movie will run in 2 cinemas here in Zlin in September. Gotta find someone who will take care for my 2 kids and will go there...
    And Red Baron is in their offer as well...

Well, anyone finally showed the heroism of our soldiers which fought in Tobruk.Communists did they job well before 1989 so a share of our soldiers in defending Tobruk was almost 4gotten...thanks for that movie!
    The more interesting is the fact that the storyline is about a main character, private Jan Liebermann, who is Jewish. Becuase - especially in the beginning of the war - most of the units were created by Jewish volunteers, whose lives were in imminent danger. This fact, plus the fact that some of them became the bravest, most successful and most decorated soldiers, was liked to be twisted around, so the communist regime was more likely to describe the Jews as "passive and cowardish victims of the holocaust who couldn't raise their arsm to ressist the Nazis." Becuase of this, the move adds another very interesting aspect and opens up one of the most tragicful chapters of Czechoslovak history...
    "He's a menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too." - Airplane!

Memory of Nation

Children of Hamas

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll see it when it hits the theaters here! Or, worst case, when it hits the video-rental shelves. They shall not be forgotten!

Pillage, then burn.

Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well on toast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Pisis; 09-11-2008 at 01:28 PM.

Memory of Nation

Children of Hamas

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the movie will be in POland shortly.So I can ait. THX for info David.

zdrawim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wojtek, there is a scene with a Polish commander, too; "Na smierć!...

Memory of Nation

Children of Hamas