Dirt Bikes.....Buying... :confused: (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aussie1001

Staff Sergeant
Jul 13, 2007
Queensland- Australia
Hi guys i am looking to buy another bike (dirt bike) and i cannot afford a new one.... I plan to go second hand. However this is where the problems arrise, such as issues with motor, chassie, transmission, gearbox etc. Have you got any tips for this kind of thing. Such as spotting mechanical problems without having to ride it around for an hour.
My other option is to buy a Chinese bike.....
To put this into perspective... A Yamaha or a KTM or someting like that usually come in at around the 10-12 K mark. However i can get a chinese bike in the same size motor (250cc) for 1.6 K however it has no warranty and has to be assembeled (front wheel and shocks). MY mate recently bought one of these and within a month the six bolts on the rear hub had already burst out of the hub and were ratteling around.....
On the same token parts are much cheaper, a back wheel on a KTM 250 enduro bike can cost 1000 dollers. A back wheel on a Chong bike will not cost half that......
Info and speculation welcome.....

I'm guessing you are talking about Hyosung bikes yeah?

Don't go near them. Quality shows through on Hondas etc.... The amount of time and money will add when you replace parts on cheap sh*t defeats the whole purpose in buying a cheap motorcycle.

I'm not sure how good your 'engine' ear is for things but have a good listen to the engine. it will tell you heaps, obviously knocking is not good. Im not sure whether you want to get a twin or single but check for all cylinder operation. With most dirt bikes being 2 into 1 exhaust just hover your hand over each barrel, should feel the heat or lack of. Blowing smoke etc....

all should arrise quickly if not immmediately.

I'll finish in saying keep away from Chinese bikes. I'm yet to see one in a store that is even worth the cardboard box it came in. Where your thoughts about a second hand bike giving you headaches are true a Chinese bike will too. Only the parts are shiney :lol:

My old man and myself have 3 old 1960 and 1970s Hondas. These bikes stand the test of time, quality wins everytime :)

ok thanks heinz the advice is apriciated...
I have been offered an '86 model honda 350cc enduro bike for the same price as the chong one i rekon i'll go for it....
And heinz this chinease bike is a mozzereza i spec.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back