Top Ten Deadliest Stretches of Road in America (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Any forum members here familiar with any of these roads?

1. 346 deaths: I-15 in San Bernardino County, California

2. 182 deaths: I-10 in Riverside County, California

3. 178 deaths: I-10 in Maricopa County, Arizona

4. 158 deaths: I-5 in Los Angeles County, California

5. 153 deaths: I-45 in Harris County, Texas

6. 148 deaths: I-15 in Clark County, Nevada

7. 131 deaths: I-95 in Palm Beach County, Florida

8. 118 deaths: I-10 in Pinal County, Arizona

8. 118 deaths: I-5 in San Diego County, California

10. 102 deaths: US-1 in Miami-Dade County, Florida

TO

I am defianatly familiar with I-15 in Clark County... right near were i live. And I believe the fatalities on it, some people drive like maniacs on it, including my friends :lol: There's one section called the Gorge, right near the snake river and once my friend was driving down it going 80mph on cruise control. If anybody here has driving through the Gorge they no how windy and crazy it is. Another time a friend of mine was driving 90mph all the way back from skiing near Beaver, but there was a crash in th Gorge so he had to slow down

I'm not surprised about I-45 in Houston (Harris County) making the list. People drive like morons on that road, and there's always construction going on (constantly, for like the last 45 years). Driving to and from work, there were very few times when I didn't hear about an accident mentioned on the radio. When I lived in Houston, I avoided I-45 whenever I could. I-10 was a piece of cake in comparison.

Venganza

The 15, 5 and 10 in California are no surprise. But I am a bit surprised there were not more California freeways. I have driven on all of them but the Texas and Florida ones.

Probably not. You and I both know, even without the bullets flying, there is plenty of carnage to go around on the 5.

That's the truth!

Back In the 1980s I was driving north on the 5 just before the 10/ 101 exchnage. Out of no where a brick hit the car I was driving just above the windshield on the passenger side. The corner of the brick cliped a chrome piece and then bounced over the car (very lucky). What was really weird about this, there were no overpasses where somone could of lobbed this brick at me. It had to of come out of the back of a truck, perhaps someone hurling it into the air. :eeeeek:

Alot of those roads are also heavily travelled, so the stats are reflecting that. There's far deadlier roads in terms of roadway situations that cause a good deal of death destruction.

Highway 299 up here in Shasta county (and Trinity county) is brutal for it's curves, narrow shoulders and geography that kills anyone that's not paying attention. The majority of the road is cut into steep mountainsides that offer a jagged stone face on one side, and a nasty drop on the other...your chances of surviving a trip down is extremely slim. Leading up to Buckhorn summit for example, there's vehicles littered down the steep slopes (covered in heavy trees brush) that date all the way back to the 20's. The terrain is so rugged, it's a huge effort just to get down and retrieve the bodies...

We have our share of idiots, here in town, too...

Lets put it in perspective. The 5, 10 and 15 freeways in Southern California are the busiest in the world. Of course they would have more fatalities because of so much traffic.

And what years are we looking at? A decade? Two decades?

When I lived in Orange County, I remember hearing that the 101 was one of the busiest roadways in the world...I can't recall what the number was, but it was something like a million plus travelled that a day.

Now this was back in the late 80's, when I heard that.

I drive on I-45 daily and it is like being at Talladega. Bumper to bumper going 70 to 75 to keep from being runover. Going through Conroe like that where it goes from 10 lanes to 4 lanes can be a pain in the neck. And then there is the slow down and build up at N. Sheperd, and I still can't see why everyone hits the brakes there. It causes a huge jam for no reason. I hate going along at 70 then having to lock em up to keep from plowing into someone and implanting my Dodge Ram emblem in their seatback.

Amsel, you have my sympathy. I also have no idea about that bl**dy slowdown either. Brings back memories. Yecch!

Venganza

Go California!...

It's only cause were so busy looking at at the hot Cali-babes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back